The File exists, or does it...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

milkboy7989

Hello everyone,

So here goes the story. I had a couple of school files I needed to put into a CD-R. I inserted the CD-R into the drive and attempted to burn these files onto the CD.

I didn't know that the CD-R already had files on it. The School files were finished burning but when I opened up the CD I could only see the previous files that were on there.

The previous files that were on the CD before the school files were just random video clips, all in the avi. format. Now half of the files on the CD are still fine, they play normally on Windows Media Player. The other half of the files didn't seem to work.

I believed it was a common CD recovery issue so I attempted to recover the lost files, little did I know the files weren't even real avi. files. Here is the part that confuses me. The files that are not playable that come out to say "File Format not supported" do take up space. Some take up 1.6 mb, some take up 700 kb. It confuses me because the files take up space and claim to files yet they do not play.

When I tried using programs to fix the files it said the files were not even true avi. files. They still take up space though. As I looked farther into this problem I came to realize that the hex of the corrupted files seem to be quite different then the actual files that do work.
The good ones had "RIFF LIST or something like that" but the bad ones just had aslasga5s4f6asf15a1f... you know what I mean.

I attempted to fix this by replacing some of the hex codes but then the file comes out to say The specified module cannot be found, which means the file is just screwed up.

I would like to ask if there is any way I can fix these corrupted files. Thanks.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online