1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\Windows\Ifshlp.sys

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jr6300, Sep 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jr6300

jr6300 Thread Starter

I know this has been covered before.....but I'm getting this message on boot:

The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\Windows\Ifshlp.sys

The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\Windows\System\Vmm32.vxd
    Type the name of the Windows loader (e.g., C:\Windows\System\Vmm32.vxd)
    C>

I have read about this in the MS bulletin:

The problem is that I cannot get my PC to recognize the installation disk. Also, when I open the C: drive thru my Me Start up disk I can see my drives. I open C: & see the directories. BUT for instance when I open C:\Windows & try to go farther & "cd options" or "cd profiles" I get a message:

CDR101: Not ready reading drive E
    Abort, Retry, Fail?

It acts as though it's trying to read E drive to find the file when it is on C. I cannot get into my cab files or get it to recognize the installation disk to maybe do a "dirty" install to just grab my address book, etc. w/o losing all my data.

This line from MS has me wondering if it is looking in the wrong directory (which it appears that it's looking for the wrong drive):

Any idea how to change the Msdos.sys file when I can't even find it?

I just need to extract my address book, etc. as I already have a new PC that I "hadn't gotten around to" putting into service yet. all I need is access so I can transfer the data. I have a 500 GB USB drive that I backed up almost all my other directories, just forgot about the address books in Netscape & Outlook & the bookmarks/favorites.

Thanx in advance,

2. jr6300

jr6300 Thread Starter

I forgot to mention that I originally thought that it may be a hard drive failure, but I can see the directories on C:\, but just can't "get in".

3. jr6300

jr6300 Thread Starter

Anybody with a guess? Hard drive failure?????

4. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

Use a Win9x startup floppy to boot the PC to a C:\ prompt.

At the C:\ prompt type:

attrib -r -s -h c:\msdos.sys

Press Enter and now type

edit c:\msdos.sys

Press Enter and you should now see a text editor open with the contents of that file.

Confirm this entry is correct, if not edit accordingly and save the changes:

WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS

Back a the C:\ prompt type:

attrib +r +h +s c:\msdos.sys

Press Enter, remove the floppy and restart the system.

Zee

5. jr6300

jr6300 Thread Starter

Thanx for the reply, but about the time you were posting I had already moved in a different direction.

I had an XP upgrade disk in the desk since early 2001. It came along later as part of the deal w/Dell when I purchased the Win Me system in late 2000. I "never got around to" installing it since I knew by that time so many of my programs would either need upgraded, reinstalled, drivers upgraded, etc.

I figured "what the hey". I went down Friday. I booted from the CD. Even then I didn't think it was going to work when it couldn't find a "qualifying Windows program to upgrade from" & it asked for my Windows Insallation CD which it did recognize. After a couple of reboots making sure it booted from the CD, I managed to get up & running with XP.

BUT, like I figured.........starting to reinstall all my programs along with some updated ones like Office 07 Ultimate, etc. Luckily, a lot of my other program settings & data are being recognized (because they are still there - the ones that didn't store the app data in the Win directory) so I don't have to "recreate the entire wheel".

I did save all my data that wasn't over written in my Windows directory. So not all was lost (but I had most of this backed up anyway).

Maybe one day I'll get my new PC in place after i get this one back "reloaded". ;)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/747372