1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The FTP Challenge...

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by ITROtY, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ITROtY

ITROtY Thread Starter

Hello Geniuses! I am the IT Rookie Of The Year and this is my first post on here. :D I'm sure I'll be getting into all sorts of fascinating discussions with all of you very soon but I'll skip the small talk for now and get right to the point.....

At my office we have an FTP site for clients to post and retrieve files that are too large to email. However, my boss would like to set up a system that would allow us to email a link -to non-regular customers- that would allow them to access a specific folder using anonymous login. This way, we would not have to give the username and password to any and everyone we deal with, and we could limit the amount of rights and access one time users have.

So, according to our ISP, we have 5 addresses. I've tried setting up one anonymous and one non-anonymous site on one server, and I've tried setting the two sites up on different servers. Neither worked.

Obviously my questions are:
    Is it even possible to run two sites in this manner?
    How can I make this happen?

Other things you might want/need to know:
    We have 2 servers running Windows Server 2003.
    IIS running one just one server right now (because when I installed it on both we lost internet on the entire network).
    I am not a certified IT/Networking Professional. I'm a self taught graphic designer. I'm fairly advanced but I may have to ask some follow up questions. :eek:

Thanks in advance for all of your time!

2. steven1350

steven1350

are they DNS addresses?

is there a firewall setup?

can you access anything from an outside location?

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

How big are the files. Maybe there is a different solution to the problem.

4. ITROtY

ITROtY Thread Starter

Steven:
    We have 5 available web/ftp addresses.
    Yes there is a firewall.
    The main FTP site is working.

Squashman:
    Files can get up to 200MB.

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

This doesn't solve your FTP problem but this is what I use for sending large files to people when I don't have access to my servers.
    http://www.yousendit.com/

6. ITROtY

ITROtY Thread Starter

Wow! That would make my life a lot easier. Thanks for the tip, I'll run it by the Brass.(y)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486225

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice