1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The glory of Tagan (irony intended)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alex W, Mar 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex W

Alex W Thread Starter

They seem to have posted me an utterly dead PSU. The "Tagan i-xeye 420W" or similar name. I forget. Anyway, it's very dead. No fans. No LEDs. Just my favourite Simon & Garfunkel: The Sounds of Silence. Help?

2. norton850

norton850

Hello

Could you tell us a little more about this. New System, new problem??

3. Alex W

Alex W Thread Starter

I'm in the process of building a new PC. I have so far got the Case, PSU, Grpahics Card, and CPU fan via overclock.co.uk. I plugged the PSU into the mains, and... nothing. Damn.

4. norton850

norton850

Basic things
    Make sure outlet or power strip has power
    Try new power cord
    Check switch on back of case set to on position
    Is LED lit on motherboard?
    Double check power connection to MB
    Try the same barebones set the you have out of the case on non
    conductive surfce like the MB box.

5. Alex W

Alex W Thread Starter

I'm just testing the PSU to see if it works. It is hooked up to nothing besides the mains outlet. Should it not work?

6. Alex W

Alex W Thread Starter

And yes, the power is on. And the switch.

7. norton850

norton850

If I'm understanding what you are doing if the PSU is not hooked up to anything it may not go on. Set up the motherboard with the CPU/heat sink and fan, and attach the power connector. See if it works.

8. Alex W

Alex W Thread Starter

Is there any reason why it shouldn't work w/out mobo? I can't think of one. and besides, I don't have one yet. :eek: It arrives in the post by Monday. Or Tuesday.

9. norton850

norton850

This is for information only. I have not reviewed yet the instructions for testing the power supply, although it certainly is not hard to do. We are having the usual bad weather in Vermont today and my internet connection is on/off. So I just wanted to get you a reply before it's back to trying to finish Far Cry :)

ATX Power Supply

10. Alex W

Alex W Thread Starter

I thank you and bow down to you as my God. Except I'm an atheist, so you are actually more of a Gandhi figure. :) You have no idea how happy you have made me. Again, thank you. And Vermont is a beautiful state, love the snow. :)

11. norton850

norton850

Without the snow there's not much to do around here in the Winter. But this time of year I'm ready for it to end. Good luck with your new system (when you get it :D )

12. winbob

winbob

Alex,

You said, "Is there any reason why it shouldn't work w/out mobo? I can't think of one."

I have not yet come across a modern PS that will start up when NOT connected to the MOBO. These units are smart enough to know when circuits are completed.

Additionally, they are turned ON by the Power Switch leads, NOT the rocker switch on the back of the unit.

13. Alex W

Alex W Thread Starter

Thanks.

I'm just used to the, er, slightly archaic technology of... AT cases/PSUs. :eek: But I'm just happy I don't need to replace it.

Bits to arrive soon :D

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/340044

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice