1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The glory of Win95, dead.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Captain-acke, Mar 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Captain-acke

Captain-acke Thread Starter

I think I put this in wrong forum whoops X(

Ok, I know Win95 is a litte, (or perhaps a LOT) old school, but to date I have been using my faithful Gateway 2000 for late night, hardcore DOS gaming.

The bad news
    The other day, I started it up, thinking that I would spend a nice long time with my DOS games. It goes past the first bit where it beeps and says 'Win95 starting up...' then it goes to the colourful Windows 95 screen. Then... it shuts off completely. I tried several more times, but same end to the story. Then dad tried to fix it with some crazy boot disks and such, but to no avail. It seems it was not detecting the CDrom drive (E:/) yet there have been no past problems concerning it. So we instantly lost hope (it's 10 years old) and took it apart in preparation for computer heaven. (It was a good machine) But now dad has regained hope and has decided to keep the bits and muck around with it, which MIGHT prove fatal, so I need quick help.

The Part that I don't know has relevance
    I recently installed one of those cheapy-games that *supposedly* runs on 95, but I didn't read the specs carefully enough and it didn't work. So, I killed it. It DID require 850MB, so I moved a few games to the other drive (2g) and then tried it. That wouldn't have affected anything because they weren't systemular necessary files etc etc. I didn't touch anything like that. The last thing I did was play Princess Maker 2. :/ Unless the computer didn't like that...
    Occasionally, I have just hit the power button instead of shutting down manually. Don't know if that is relevant either.

Specs:

Old
    Pentium 200
    Old
    32mb RAM (I THINK)
    Old
    Vibra 128 Soundcard

DOS is STILL functional, not windows.

And I don't remember much else really. I'll ask dad if you need more info.

2. TOGG

TOGG

3. jrenjr

jrenjr

CMOS battery. If it hasn't been changed, 10 yrs. is a long time.

4. Captain-acke

Well we worked out a conclusion; the hard drive seems to have SOMEHOW wiped itself... very, very, odd.
    I'm not sure how this is possible, but it's done it.
    I've lost lots of things that were irriplacable and I am grrr and grrr GRRRHTHRHAHAIAHDHSA

Oh well, I want to know WHY that happened.

5. Gerry Withag

Gerry Withag

Go to www.grc.com and get spinrite 6.0

If the drive has not been physically damaged, then it is very likely that spinrite will solve the problem.

I have used it to restore floppies that were irreplaceable so the info could be recovered. Hell, I have used it to Recover a drive that had been "accidentally degaussed!!

Please let me know if this works for you.

g

6. Captain-acke

Ick, I don't think we can afford to get Spinrite, but it sounds great. :(

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/447172

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice