1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The Impossible Bios Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pcmayhem, Jan 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcmayhem

pcmayhem Thread Starter

I own a IBM Thinkpad 755CX (9545-HPE) and the BIOS needs to be upgraded to support Plug and Play for Win95. (I have been running Win95 but am having major grief with installing a PCMCIA MODEM and disabling the Mwave modem. MWave - gggrrrrrrrr.) I do not have a working battery for my laptop. The BIOS upgrade checks for a battery and refuses to install the bios without one (in case of power failure). I really don't want to buy a battery so I could:
    1) FAKE OUT the battery check by routing power from somewhere to the battery posts. Doesn't sound nice.
    2) Edit the BIOS install disk to not check for a battery. Sounds real bad.
    3) Try and get the modem to work without PnP. I'm having trouble configuring everything to get a dial tone. The diagnostic software I have checks for and finds the modem just fine. But no dialtone. It seems that Mwave doesn't want to share the 'phone jack' even if the Mwave modem is disabled or removed from Device Mangler.

Suggestions (other than skip the whole idea) Please!!

2. LarryCore

LarryCore

What do you mean by "share the jack"?

You aren't plugging the phone line into both modems, are you?

Generally speaking, a "no dialtone" reaction means one of 3 things.

1) Modem is not compatible with your machine. Many WinModems require a Pentium 166 or faster to work correctly,, for instance.

2) Drives are not installed correctly. This sounds very likely in your case, due to the PnP problems.

3) The modem is bad. I've seens dozens of modems that diagnose fine, but can't get a dial tone. The physical jack portion of the modem won't work, even though the internal parts are ok. Any chance you can test the modem in another machine to make sure it works?

------------------
    Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech:
    LarryCore begs for money

3. pcmayhem

pcmayhem Thread Starter

Hey Larry,

I'm disabling the MWave modem as per instructions for installing a US Robotics 28.8 Modem that I have configured and with major amounts of fiddling (including a lot of luck) got to work through the computer 'phone jack'. Going back to attempt to re-install the US Robotics Modem I get the same "No Dialtone" error. My guess is that the drivers/configuration of the new 56Kbps Smartlink (Archtek) PC card isn't correct. I have the newest drivers available for it.

I'll try and find out about my machine not being fast enough for the modem. Thanks for now.

4. LarryCore

LarryCore

Not sure I understand.

The USR modem has a place to plug the phone wire in. That is the only place you should be connecting the wire. If you are plugging it into the mwave it will never work.

------------------
    Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech:
    LarryCore begs for money

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/34810

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice