"the internet explorer cannot open the page"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Spykee.32

Banned
I always get this message "the internet explorer cannot open the page" when trying to access an internet page, the only thing i can do when i get that little message is OK after that i get page cannot be displayed or cannot find server..Im able to ping but not able to browse the internet, i have deleted cookies,tmp files, and nothing seems to work i even scan my PC with NORTON03, spybot and they both didnt find anything..What can i do?

Download and install Firefox from Mozilla. It is the best browser available, and is NOT affected by the dangerous ActiveX controls which IE uses.

Get it here:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/0.10.1/Firefox Setup 1.0PR.exe

Save it to your Desktop, so you can find it easily. Once the dowmload completes, install and run it. See if it will connect to the pages you're currently blocked from accessing, and let us know what happens.

-- slingshotter

Mozilla is susceptible to hijack - particularly by lop.com so I don't see any room for complacency. SpywareBlaster has the best database of unkind ActiveX Objects and I feel quite safe with using IE (inasmuch as AOL doesn't need it too much) while I have that running.

Spykee.32 - you could possibly cure the problem by allowing some Objects - or causing a prompt - in Internet Options>Security>Custom Level.

i have a computer doing the same thing..i downloaded spybot and adaware on a another computer and want to run it on the problem computer. question is , how do i make sure i get all the updates on spybot and adaware on the problem computer if i cant access the internet?

Simple one028 - download the latest versions of both frrom their websites and update. Burn to CD and use it in the other computer. While you're in the right mood, get SpywareBlaster as well - you don't erun that one, it runs itself in the background.

thats the confusion...i download the programs to my good computer, then what. how can i update unless i install the programs? then when i install the programs i can only burn the setup , how does the updates get on the cd i burn?

Sorry I failed to make that clear. You will have to burn the entire contents of Spybot's newly installed directory after updating, even if it means using a separate CD for each of the programmes. You then copy frrom the CD into appropriately named directories you must first create on the other computer- taht is to say using the same names the programmes themselves created in your main one.

You sound as though your concerns about one of your computers are great enough to start your own thread and maybe post a HijackThis log.

ok thanks. i did post a thread about this....im going to try to fix it today. i am also going to use a winsock fix for xp to see it that does the trick. all this started from removing a virus. everything was working fine, got the virus, got rid of the virus, now i cant get on the internet. i can connect and ping websites, but cant get on the net using ie or yahoo dsl browser.

Saga Lout said:
Mozilla is susceptible to hijack - particularly by lop.com so I don't see any room for complacency. SpywareBlaster has the best database of unkind ActiveX Objects and I feel quite safe with using IE (inasmuch as AOL doesn't need it too much) while I have that running.

Spykee.32 - you could possibly cure the problem by allowing some Objects - or causing a prompt - in Internet Options>Security>Custom Level.

Saga Lout, I can't let your comment pass without a reply. From what I've found after diligent research, LOP.COM is not NEARLY the problem in the US as it is within the UK. There are a HANDFUL of malware programs like LOP.COM that can cause problems in just about ANY browser, though I notice that you DIDN'T mention how much MORE damage LOP.COM causes in Internet Explorer, which is a sad omission.

On the other hand, there are HUNDREDS of malware programs that hijack Internet Explorer, with more being released every day. Your reference to LOP.COM could lead people who read this thread to think that Firefox (or it's cousin, Mozilla Navigator, which I'm using right now) suffers from the same flaws as Internet Explorer, which is RIDICULOUS.

EVERY responsible computer security website has advised people to STOP using Internet Explorer for MONTHS now, because it is a SECURITY RISK. I consider it one notch BELOW junk, and have REFUSED to use it since it was first released.

ANYONE who has the energy can feel free to search these or any OTHER forums on the 'net, and discover for themselves which browser causes the VAST majority of the problems people encounter every day. YOU use IE (if for no other reason) because it is FORCED upon you by AOL. You might even PREFER IE, but that does NOT make it any more secure.

NO ONE mentioned "room for complacency"; if you re-read my earlier post, you'll see that I SPECIFICALLY mentioned that Firefox is NOT affected by ActiveX controls, which is TRUE. I don't have to concern myself with "unkind ActiveX Objects", because I DON'T use a SERIOUSLY FLAWED browser, NOR do I recommend one to anyone else.

Micro$oft will CONTINUE to apply their worthless "patches" to IE as long as there are enough people who remain ignorant of the HAZARD it presents to their systems. Don't you think that because M$ has patched IE REPEATEDLY for so many years, that it should work PROPERLY by now? Or maybe that it shouldn't be a SECURITY RISK anymore? Patching IE is like patching a condom, which makes IE something I'm NOT willing to use. I'll take my chances with Mozilla, and leave IE to those who ENJOY repairing their system every few weeks.

Ultimately, that might be the WORST legacy that IE will leave the world; it is such a WORTHLESS pile of code that your entire SYSTEM, including ALL of your data, is at risk every single time you open IE. Bill Gates became the richest man in the world by selling PC users a bill of goods, without the goods, and Internet Explorer is a prime example of that.

-- slingshotter

Spykee, do you have access to another computer? A friend's...library...etc? Or, do you already have an alternate browser to download HiJackThis? With HiJackThis, scan the computer you're having problems with.

Please go to the link below and downloadHiJackThis by Merijn Bellekom:

Save it to a permanent folder.

***NOTE***Do not FIX anything without a log analyzer's guidance. MOST of what's listed is necessary for your computer to operate normally.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

Alternate download links:

http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html

HiJackThis download link

Under "Official Downloads" HiJackThis. It's the 2nd one down.

Download and unzip to a permanent folder of your own creation.

Open HiJackThis. Click "Scan". Then, in the lower left corner, click "Save Log".

Save it to your permanent HiJackThis folder (or floppy disk if necessary).

The log will open in Notepad. Click "Edit" then "Select All".

Copy and paste the log back to this thread.

After that's done, open HiJackThis. Click "Config" and put a checkmark in the "Make backups before fixing items" box.

I'm grateful for the information but I only said that Mozilla wasn't immune. I think it is attacked on fewer occasions because it's developers are less unpopular than Microsoft and most of the malicious attakcs on IE are aimed at MS rather than the users but it's they who lose out in the end.

I then pointed out to the original poster that the infinitely configurable (?such a word?) IE could be adjusted to allow his downloads. Your post was, however, quite specific and I only took issue with that one statement because I believe that Mozilla is also vulnerable in that area. If that had just my own opinion I would specify that but Spywareinfo.com seems to agree with me.

There will doubtless be debate on this for many years to come and personal choice will be the arbiter. I've posted elsewhere today my "opinion" that Mozilla and Firefox are "anecdotally seems to be very highly thought of" because not having used it, I can't venture beyond that. I'll stick with what I have and depend on the patches which, as you say, are frequent and I'm certain that the anti-Gate-brigade will make sure that continues well into the future.

Let's hope Spykee32 posts back with a positive response. If not, he may take yuor advice and migrate to Mozilla.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online