1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The internet on my laptop is going WAY SLOOOOW

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Sabes, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabes

Sabes Thread Starter

This problem started happening about 2 days ago, and before then my internet was running just fine. Whenever I try to open web pages in Mozilla or IE or Opera or any browser, it takes forever to load the page, and sometimes several minutes. Before this problem started, pages would take no longer than 5 seconds to load. It also seems to take a really long time to connect to internet-based programs that connect to a server. I play a fair amount of online poker and it takes much longer than usual to connect to PokerStars, Full Tilt Poker, etc. if that makes sense.

A few weird/interesting things about this problem:

- Whenever I download files using "save as..." or torrents or whatever, the download speed doesn't fall below 220kb/s
    - Sometimes the web pages seem to load at the normal speed they did before this problem started, but still they almost always load much slower
    - My laptop shares the internet connection with a desktop PC. The laptop gets its connection from a wireless router. Whenever I use the internet on the desktop, it's always fast like it used to be on my laptop
    - Last night I ran Adaware and it came across a win32.trojan.downloader that I thought could be the problem. I removed it and it hasn't been detected since in several scans using Adaware, Spybot, Kaspersky, and AVG, but the internet still runs very slow

I'd really like to get this problem fixed as I use the internet on my laptop all the time. Any suggestions would be very greatly appreciated.

2. happyrck

happyrck

try speakeasy to test your speeds...if that appears good then my guess is you are infected and should post a hijackthis log in the security forum

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544470

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice