1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The lights are on but no one is home

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by memphis1986, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. memphis1986

memphis1986 Thread Starter

Hey Guys i hope you can give me some advice. I have an old pc (2.4ghz celeron), about a month ago it packed in completely and having stripped it i realised the power supply had blown. So today i finally got round to buying a new one but there seems to be a problem. When i turn the machine on using the switch on the PSU after maybe 7-8 seconds the heatsink fan kicks in spinning and the hard drive activity light on the front of the machine, flashes on and off consistantly. During this nothing at all appears on the monitor the keyboard lights do however flash for a few second before stopping. The main power button on the front of the machine does absolutley nothing. I do remember it doing this before the blown PSU and after several trys it did kind of just sort itself out. As you can imagine i am a little confused. Has anybody got any suggestions??

Just so you know, I can't hear any knocking of the hard drive and everything seems to be hooked up correctly!

2. memphis1986

Having read some other posts in the forum i was wondering does anyone think it could be a mounting problem where the case itself is shorting out the motherboard??

3. ibanez2k

ibanez2k

could be a few things. either PSU is not connected correctly to the motherboard, or could be the motherboard has gone out too, or even still a bad PSU. Either way with a computer that old I would personally just buy a new one before I started throwing money into that one to fix it. One thing with computers is that two years later you can definately buy one much better for a lot less than you spent on your old one. First though I would re-check all your connections to the motherboard and make sure that power supply actually works. You should be able to get the front power button to work too if it's connected to the motherboard correctly. If you don't have a diagram for it in a manual somewhere see if you can download the mainboards service manual online. -good idea on the motherboard shorting too though. That could be. If anythings shorting that could screw up the board too though so might want to check that.

4. memphis1986

I just removed the MB to see if i could see anything unusual (loose screws, blown caps etc), nut found nothing reconnected everything and its still doing it. I am really stumped on this one. Has anyone experienced this before? The PSU is brand new and has been tested in my other machine and works fine, when this machine is switched on the fan on the PSU comes on albeit slowly.

If i unplug the cable for the start button on the front does anyone know which pin it is that i can touch with a screwdriver to start the machine. I know it can be done just not sure which pin it is.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Usually the jumper to start is labeled "sw" or "pw". Did you remember to plug in the separate 4 pin 12V plug? This actually sounds like the hsf is not completely fastened tight. Did you remove it by any chance and the replace it back?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When the original pw supply failed, it could have very well taken out one or more other components ie motherboard, ram, etc. The only way to check is to swap in known working parts one at a time; board, ram, cpu, etc.

7. memphis1986

I have had the heatsink off, cage and everything and found nothing unusual and made doublely sure that it was all replaced correctly and securely but it didn't make a difference. I would certainly accept that the blown PSU could have taken some other components with it to the giant silicone heaven in the sky but for the fact that the machine did temporarily do the same thing before the PSU blew but as i think i mentioned earlier, it sorted itself after a while and a few goes at switching it off and on.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703988

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice