1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The little icon thing next to address

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by SpeedRacer5, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SpeedRacer5

SpeedRacer5 Thread Starter

When I saved a website to my favorites list, the little internet explorer "e" was switched to a graphic pertaining to the website I was on. When I go off, it switches back to the "e". I've always seen this thing and the thought never really surfaced to research deeper into it. Does anyone know how to change it or any options you can do to keep it on whatever the website specifies it to be. Also, where in the coding can you find what it is supposed to be?

2. Tecumseh

Tecumseh

These little icons are referred to as favicons.

Favicons are cached similarly to html documents. When they are deleted from the cache, they revert to the standard IE icon.

If you want to prevent the icon from disappearing:

Create a local directory (e.g., c:\favicons)

Copy the desired favicon into the directory created above. (drag & drop in Windows Explorer)

Right click the mouse over the favorite/bookmark and select properties.
    Enter the path (or use the 'browse' feature) to the favicon you want for that bookmark.

I seem to recall that PC Mag/Utilities has a little app. that will do this for you but you now have to subscribe to their utilities download program (read pay money!) to get it.

3. SpeedRacer5

SpeedRacer5 Thread Starter

How do I get the icons back now? The cache has been cleared. What can I do to get them to show once so I can save them in the folder?

4. RandyG

RandyG

AM-Deadlink is a freeware utility that will manage these for you, as well as check all of your favorites and find . . . dead links!;):D

5. marie500

marie500

To get the icon back - return to the site and Save it (again) to your Favorites list. Let it overwrite the first link you already saved. The icon will be saved once again in your Temp Internet Files folder.

6. RandyG

RandyG

and will be cleared again when the TIF folder is puged, which is set by default to do so after 2 weeks.

Using a program like the one I posted a link to is the easiest, and surest way to keep them;):D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219585

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice