1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The Magical Dying Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hagenstien, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hagenstien

Hagenstien Thread Starter

I have a computer with the following components:

Athlon XP 2800+
    Asus A7N8X MoBo
    WD Caviar 80 Gb
    ATI 9800 Pro

And a few other goodies.

At any rate, I just replaced a dead PSU on this rig with a 400 watt unit. Now, after the computer has been on about 30 min or so, it shuts down and just continually reboots and puts a bunch of garbage up on the screen.

Now, I think the computer is overheating, but why with just a new PSU? If it is, how do I prevent it? I have two fans on the back panel of the case plus the one on the CPU.

Is there anything else I can do to rule out other causes? What would the other causes be?

Thanks for all your help.

2. brite750

brite750

you might want to try running pc with side of case off and a desk fan running on it to see if prob is heat related, although it sounds like it's driver or video related, try reseating card if it has a separate power connect, make sure it is snug and on a separate lead. make sure fan on V-card is working

3. norton850

norton850

The ASUS boards usuallYcome with the "Probe" utility on the CD to check out the temperature. It's probably also available from the ASUS web site. It should help to rule out overheating as the problem.

4. brite750

brite750

What brand of psu did you buy, hope it was quality psu and not off brand

5. Hagenstien

Hagenstien Thread Starter

Well, I think I've solved the problem.

The plastic clip on the side of the connector from the power supply to the MoBo was broken, and thus the connection made between the two was intermittant. I've got the comp up and running again with the CPU temp displayed in the systems tray. After being on for 30 min the temp is only 123 F, so I'm hoping that the clip was indeed the problem.

Thanks for the help guys. I guess the obvious sometimes gets over looked.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274108

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice