1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

the more you think, the worse it gets

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by kokaik, Jul 3, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kokaik

kokaik Thread Starter

dear all, any softwares that can fix this...

3 men go into a hotel for the night. The clerk informs them that it's $30 for the room, so they each take out a $10 bill to pay for the room. So far they paid $30, correct? You with me so far? Good.

A few moment after the men went up to the room, the manager reminds the clerk that there was a special promotion that night, and that the room was only $25. So the clerk gives the bell boy five dollars to bring back to the men. On his way up to the room, the bell boy says. "Hey, I'm not stupid, I'll give each of the man a dollar back and keep two for myself, $5 right, 30-5=25.

Well, since the bell boy gave each man a dollar back, that means each man only paid $9, correct?

Well, the last time I checked, 9x3=27, plus the 2 that the bell boy took makes 29, what happened to the other dollar??????

[This message has been edited by kokaik (edited 07-03-2000).]

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I have it.

3. DWO

DWO

Hmmm.... the problem with your last equation (9x3=$27), 3 short of $30, is that you’ve
    calculated each man paid $9. In actuality, each man paid $10, then got $1 back. How ‘bout this one: $25 (room cost) + $3 (what they received back) + $2 (what the bell boy stole) = $30. Or, $30 - $3 - $2 = $25.

Anyway, the more correct answer is: If this did happen, the men would sue and win $2.5 million each. Both the clerk and bell boy would sue for being fired. The manager would be out of business. And Dreamboat would get 18 hours community service for stealing that dollar.

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

APPLAUSE

5. kokaik

kokaik Thread Starter

bravo....

equation 9x3=25+2
    the 3 men are considered as Payable
    The hotel/clerk & bell boy are considered as Receivable.

Thanks guys. [​IMG]

6. KenB

KenB

Nice bit of obfuscation.
    You don't add the $2 to 3x9, you subrtact it.
    Each man paid 9 dollars, totalling $27, subract the $2 graft from the bell-boy and you get the price of the room - $25.

http:\\www.youdothemath.com\riddledecoder.exe

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!