1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The most basic of motherboard questions...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wwiess, Apr 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wwiess

wwiess Thread Starter

This will probably be basic, novice question, but my experience lies within software instead of hardware...

I need to replace the motherboard in my Compaq notebook (Presario 18XL), or so say the folks at CompUSA anyway. According to them, the part itself will run somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,000. I’m convinced that there has to be a cheaper solution outside of the OEM part ordered directly from Compaq. Unfortunately, I don’t have a clue how to find out which boards may be compatible with my system. Is there anyone that could help me out, by chance? Any easy-to-use sites that might be of interest?

Thanks a ton for your help!!

Will

2. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

3. bencpht

bencpht

uh spaceman...you found memory for the pc, not a new mobo. I used to be a tech at bestbuy and they always told us upgrading, or replacing parts in a notebook are generally not worth the cost. I know this isn't what you want to hear but that's what I was told also.

You might be better off getting another opinion regarding whether or not the mobo needs replaced. Will the pc turn on? Does it make any beeps on bootup? Do you hear a fan? Tell us what's happening.

4. wwiess

wwiess Thread Starter

Thanks for your help, all...

As far as my specific problem goes, here's the deal:

My son spilled pop all over the keyboard. I immediately turned it upside down and then cleaned up what I could see. The thing will boot into Windows, though - more often than not - I get a long series of those "warning beeps" as it's booting...and soon as my desktop becomes visible, the beeps stop. Everything seems to function normally, expect for the keyboard itself. I can't even get use out of it with an external keyboard plugged into the PS/2 port. It's almost as if the two keypads are trying to fight each other. Sometimes I'll be able to type for a couple of minutes, but, in the end, my cursor starts to backspace and/or insert periods between each letter.

I guess that's about the gist of it. Initially, I tried to sneak it into Compaq under the auspices of warranty service (I figured it was worth a shot). At the time, they told me that the only issue involved the keyboard, which they could replace for $300. (I stupidly figured I would be able to have it fixed locally for a cheaper rate, so I had them send it back.) What could have possibly happened between now and then to cause damage to the motherboard, I have no idea...

Again, thanks for all your help!!

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, with the prices of laptops, I can't see spending anything close to that much to fix one! If the damage can't be repaired for a whole lot less, cut your losses and buy a new machine. If they want $1000 for the part, the repair will easily top the price of many very nice new notebooks!

6. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

7. Casey820

Casey820

Soda on a laptop spells disaster nearly every time. There's not much between the keyboard and the motherboard, so it's not a reach to conclude the soda damaged them both.

Laptop parts are not interchangeable (besides the hard drive and memory), so you cannot purchase just any old laptop motherboard and stick it into your laptop's "case". You have to buy the proprietary replacement part, and in this case, it's very expensive and not worth it.

You're looking for an easy, inexpensive solution, and there simply isn't one.

8. rmay635703

rmay635703

The least expensive (albeit pain in the butt) solution is to buy a non-working laptop off ebay (one that boots but has a trashed screen, hd, floppy, cd, etc and steel your screen hd, floppy cd, etc

9. bencpht

bencpht

Whoa, spaceman found your keyboard for $65. I love this forum!!!!!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/127072

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice