1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The mysterious USB pins on my motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by slmndr13, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slmndr13

slmndr13 Thread Starter

Just put an older and somewhat obscure motherboard in a new case I bought from In-Win.

The Mobo in question came with a "Beon Li-800" that CompUsa sold to my mother in law in 2000.

Its an ECS motherboard and the documentation that accompanied the PC upon purchase is for a "6IWP-Fe" (Intel 810 Chip set) but that motherboard is not listed on their support pages and I'm not even sure that this is the precise name of the board I have.

So anyway, now I'm trying to figure out how to identify the various pins on the internal USB header so I don't fry something.

The markings on the board itself don't seem to be of much help.

I imagine, though I'm not certain, that if I can just determine which pins provide power, the rest should fall into place.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to how I can work through this bit of confusion and get those pins identified.

Thanks!

2. DrNorm

DrNorm

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

Here is a standard 2 port USB pinout.

Attached Files:

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If there is no key pin on the connector, you can locate the grounds by checking with an ohmmeter between the second row of pins and one of the P/S ground leads. There should only be one really low resistance connection, that would be the ground. Once you've located the ground, you can use the previous diagram to identify the pins.

5. slmndr13

slmndr13 Thread Starter

Wrote an email to ECS, but the support for this board seems so spotty on their site I'm loathe to trust the info I get back if any...

that ohmeter test for the ground pin sounds like just the thing.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

Is the motherboard USB header a standard 2x5 header with no pin in position #9?

If it's a standard 2x5 header and the leads from the front USB ports are single kk connectors they should be marked and the pinout should be easy.

7. slmndr13

slmndr13 Thread Starter

Its a 2x5 header, but all ten pins are present.

There is a row of 7 numbers running below the header but they don't seem to have anything to do with the USB header. I say this after having read an article on the various ways in which these things are often marked.

So far as the board goes, the biggest clue I have is that when I look at the hardware imbedded in the board (lets call them "metal strips") lining up with each set of USB header pins....

well the metal strip on one end of the header is markedly fatter than all of the others. I'm wondering if that increases the chances that the corresponding set of pins provide power.

So far as the front panel connector from the new case goes...fortunately thats well marked.

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

I don't believe you will find any information on that motherboard at any manufacturers site. Apparently the board was a proprietary board for the Beon-Li 800 machine sold by CompUsa.

In any event after locating either the ground or +5V pins the pinout should be standard.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Remember that the power for USB ports comes from the USB controller, since it's limited to 0.5A at 5 VDC, so I wouldn't plan on being able to identify the power supply. Test idea it to identify the grounds, since they are really ground.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487401

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice