1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

the network password needs to be 40 bits or 104 bits depending on your network config

Discussion in 'Networking' started by charliecharles7, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. charliecharles7

charliecharles7 Thread Starter

The network password needs to be 40 bits or 104 bits depending on your network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters.

This is the error message I keep receiving whilst trying to connect a windows xp laptop onto a netgear router. Using Intel Pro/wireless 2200BG network connection.

I already have a macbook which connects fine as do my friends laptops when they come over. The laptop in question has worked before on this router with no issues, however, this is no more!!!

I think I might need to amend some setting to choose WPA but I can't figure out how to do it!!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Charliecharles7

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You have to pick WPA in the router, then remove the stored wireless network profile and search for the network.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/936179