Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The network path was not found

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I recently had trouble splitting my broadband connection with a router but after making the MAC address of the pc identical to that of the router it worked.
Now though i can't access files from the other pc. If I am on pc A i can't access files on pc B and vice versa. I have gone through the network setup wizard, and am sharing my drives but whenever i try to access a folder from the other pc it gives me the error:

\\[Computername] is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of the server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found​

What should I do?!? Both pc's are running XP Home and I have run Windows update. I have tried pinging the ip of each computer but it just gives me the message:
"Request Timed out"

They are both on the same workgroup name. When i search for the computer name on each pc they can find it but then when i double click on it it gives me the "network path not found" error.
Neither of pcs have the Xp Firewall turned on and the same occurs when I turn off my software firewall.

Router used = Billion BIPAC-640SE
ISP = NTL
Connection = 600k

HELP!

See less See more
#2 ·
See here's the thing though, you can't set both MAC addresses to be the same, that's just not logical. a MAC address is pretty much a digital serial number for each ethernet card, no two are the same.

Please, go through and be more detailed about your setup and what you did to get your computers hooked up to the router, right now you are not explaining things in enough detail.

~ AciD

#3 ·
NTL only allow one MAC address, so the only way i could get the internet to work was to set the same MAC address as the one that is registered with them. Thats how I was told to do it and it was the only thing that worked. Here is the information from ipconfig /all from each pc:

PC number 1:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : NEW_DELL
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-07-E9-E4-FD-ED
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.135
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 25 February 2003 23:13:40
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 19 January 2038 03:14:07

PC Number 2:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : EVESHAM
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys
LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter(LNE100TX v4)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-5A-61-D7-64
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.109
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 25 February 2003 19:35:03
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 19 January 2038 03:14:07

To get the computers hooked up on the router, I connected the broadband---->router wan connection, pc1 ---> lan 1 conenction, and pc2--->lan2 connection. Then i went through the network set up wizard in xp for both of them. After that I shared the drives i wanted.

I can ping from pc1 to the router but i cant ping from the pc2 to the router. Hope this helps

#4 ·
Any chance you have a firewall standing in the way? You might also try clearing your DNS cache. Open a command prompt:

IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS

And while you're at it, flush the ARP cache:

ARP -d *

#5 ·
It strikes me as odd that the ip's assigned by your router aren't adjacent. Are they statically assigned?
Have you released and renewed the second machine with ipconfig?

What is the modem model? Is there a chance that the modem is also a DHCP server as well as the router? (some are)

#6 ·
Originally posted by IMM:
It strikes me as odd that the ip's assigned by your router aren't adjacent. Are they statically assigned?
Have you released and renewed the second machine with ipconfig?

What is the modem model? Is there a chance that the modem is also a DHCP server as well as the router? (some are)
I'm not sure either of these would be an issue. My Comcast broadband modem uses DHCP to connect to my router, and I use it on the other side as well. The WAN and LAN sides of the router are logically isolated, and the IP addressing is determined independently.

As far as the IP addresses, my DHCP address pool is 100 addresses, and my machines seem to have randomly been assigned IP addresses within that pool. This one happens to be 192.168.2.71. I have no idea why some routers assign the addresses in a neat little sequence, and others look like they used the dartboard selection method. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.