1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"the page cannot be displayed"

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by daksmom, Dec 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daksmom

daksmom Thread Starter

I asked about this problem yesterday, and thought I had a solution. But, the "solution" is something I already tried that didn't work. LadyLisa and Rollin Rog I believe answered me, by telling me to clear the Use PCT 1.0 and clear the Use TLS 1.0 on the security settings. That didn't work. Here's the problem again. I go to the web site www.ohiobwc.com and there are five links to click on, listed on the left side of the screen. I can connect to four of the five links. The one I cannot connect to is the "create e-account" link. I get the error message "the page cannot be displayed". I have contacted AOL tech support, and a computer repairman about this problem, and this is what they all have told me to do, none of which worked: delete the AOL adapter, purge the cache, delete the cookies, check to see if the Internet Explorer needs repaired, this web page I need to connect to requires 128 bit cipher strength, and my computer had just 49 bit, so I downloaded Internet Explorer 5.5 SP1, I also upgraded the Java script to 4.0, and I have changed the security settings. None of these "solutions" have solved the problem. So, the last AOL tech support rep. I talked to said there is a chance that the system administrator put restrictions on me to prevent me from accessing that web page, but Dec. 6 was the first time I tried to access this web page, and that first time I tried to access it was when I got the error message "the page cannot be displayed". Does anyone have any other suggestions on what I can do to solve this problem, shy of taking my computer into the shop? And if I need to talk to the system administrator, is it the administrator for that particular web site, or who would it be? Someone please put your thinking cap on and come up with a solution for me. I'm convinced it's a problem with my computer or the settings, because everyone I ask to see if they can access the web site, and the particular web page can do so, and I cannot. I have windows '98, and AOL 5.0. Would upgrading from either or both of those be the solution? Please put your thinking caps on and help me! I am a workers comp representative, so I NEED to be able to access this web page.

2. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

daksmom
    have you tried contacting the Site Administator? You can click on 'contact us' and let them know about the problem.
    Also, did you click on the 'help' link? There it will tell you what type of browser you need as some of the more secure links will only work with the most recent browser.
    I hope this helps.

3. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Do you have internet security & restricted sites both set for security . Check & see ...... go to security / internet options & restricted.
    Savvy :)

I just went to the site & started typing Savvy & it let me.

[edit] oops... I don't guess AOL & IE are the same....sorry

4. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Try this link.

https://www.ohiobwc.com/bwccommon/bwcacc/newacc.asp

If that doesnt work, and if you havent tried this yet, log on to the net with AOL then minimize the browser. Open a Internet Explorer browser and go and see if it will work. I know you said you downloaded IE but was wondering if you tried it with IE or with AOL. If you tried it with AOL then you may need to reinstall AOL after the upgrade of IE. Since AOL use IE as its default browser, AOL may still be riding on the old settings.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Daksmom, please continue to respond to this thread for continuity rather than starting new ones. All the advice you have been given so far has been excellent so something must be at issue here rather than security settings, java code or IE files.

If this is the only site you are receiving such errors on and it is one you have accessed previously, it is possible the error is occuring due to failed Domain Name association. This can happen if your computer has a HOSTS file in the Windows directory. Do a Find Files search for HOSTS. If you find one with NO extension (not hosts.sam), rename it to GHOSTS and see if you can make the connection.

Are you able to access other secure sites??

And yes you should try contacting the site administrator if it is only that site you cannot access. Taking it to a shop will probably only result in them wanting to completely reformat your system.

6. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:p Hello daksmom,

Using IE5.5 I just entered into the "create e-account" link. If it will help, here's the pertinent items I have enabled in the Advanced settings of Internet Explorer Options:

Use HTTP 1.1
    JIT compiler for virtual machine enabled
    Use fortezza
    PCT1.0
    SSL2.0
    SSL3.0

If you can't access through the link then try entering direct by going to the link DoyceJ posted. Good luck.

7. daksmom

daksmom Thread Starter

I know you guys are getting tired of reading this, but now there is something new to the problem. Just in case you forgot, I can logon to www.ohiobwc.com but I cannot access the create e-account web page. All of the things I have done so far are to delete the AOL adapter, downloaded Internet Explorer 5.5 SP1, upgraded Java script to 4.0, I have deleted the cookies, changed the security settings, purged the cache, seen if the Internet Explorer 5.5 needed to be repaired, I have gone out of AOL and tried to access the web page through Internet Explorer. Nothing works. Last night, I was going to delete the cookies, and out of curiosity, before I deleted the cookies, I clicked on a file name on the bwc web site, and guess what happened? Portions of the web page that I cannot access opened up. However I could not open anything up when I clicked on it. Yes, it surprised me, too. The page I cannot open through a regular web address opened from the cookies in the temporary internet files when I was going to delete them. As has been suggested, does it sound like I need to delete Internet Explorer 5.5, and Windows '98, and download and reinstall them? Any suggestions on what I can do this time?

8. Styxx

Styxx Banned

I take it you're using AOL as your ISP. If so you wouldn't have a problem using IE by itself and a local ISP. If you're not using AOHell, then you need to call your ISP about connectivity issues. Plus, if you're gettiong a page conot be displayed error its a problem with Internet congestion or server congestion at your or the server's end and there's nothing you can do but NOT GO TO THE SITE!

Get free Zone Alarm personal firewall anti-hacker countermeasure from http://www.zonelabs.com. (not the demo) Don't let anything out to the Internet you don't know what it is.

Update your antivirus, temporarily disable your screen saver and scan with your anti-virus set to scan All Files. Update and scan bi-monthly. Create your anti-virus' Rescue disk(s) and update them after each Windows anti-virus update.

You can scan on-line to double-check your Windows scanner at http://housecall.antivirus.com :mad: :confused:

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

daksmom, I have merged your previous thread with this one. Please reply to this and not post a separte topic/thread each time!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61454

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice