Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

the possibility of 2 HD in one PC.

832 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  tim88 
#1 ·
I used to have a particular HD called Western Digital Caviar few years ago.It's a 10GB belonging to another PC,of which, is now totally spoiled since it uses WinME and totally corrupted.

My dad and i try to use that as our second HD as we know that is possible.we scanned that particular HD with avast antivirus,clean it and formatted it.

I wondered how to install it and make it a second HD in my PC.Could you show me how?

I'm using Intel Pentium 4,Asus motherboard(i don't know whats the model)
Windows XP Home.

#2 ·
It should be very simple, with one caution. Some older disks have a problem running on the same IDE controller as a newer model. If possible, I'd connect it with the CD/DVD drive on the secondary IDE controller as the slave.

Of course, knowing what hard disks and optical drives you now have, and where they're connected would be a big help. :)

#3 ·
I've have tried today installing the hard disk(the older one)that is already formatted in my PC.
I've got one question:when I already installed it, is there anything to do to have this PC recognised the second HD?

I have a 40GB Western Digital Caviar.The ODD I'm using is the Samsung DVD writer SH-W162C,Benq CD writer/rom. I guess it should be helpful.

#4 ·
also remember to be sure the jumpers are set correctly for master/ slave. some drive also have different jumper setting when they are alone or master. these are usually printed on the label on the disk or can be found at the manufactures web site. the computer should recognise it right away. You were smart to format it ahead of time. I recently istalled a new drive, unformatted. to get windows to format it was a pain.

#5 ·
It was painful especially the "failure to boot" shows up when restarting Windows.The"failure to boot" happened after two hours of installing it and make it work for 10 min(that was my first mistake of installing it unformatted).How does this thing happened? but thanks for the compliment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.