The power managment under linux is poor

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

angelo.dealwis

First Name
Lucien
HI
I have UX21E (asus) on which i have installed linux mint 19 xfce
When it was running MS Windows I could send the computer into hibernation and the battery would last for a few days at least.
Since installing the linux mint I have noted that the power management if very poor. What can i do do enable hibernation in the computer under linux
Thank you

The Hibernation depends on the swap file. In Linux Mint this is enabled by default but still, if the swap file is not adequate in size, you are still prohibited from enabling this service.

The important thing here is to calculate the swap space needed for the system operation Vs. the hibernate feature. As an example, one would own a system with a 4 GiB memory. The swap would normally (or a good size) be 9GiB.

Once this is set properly, you will be able to enable the hibernate option.
  • Just to enable hibernation, you only need swap to equal RAM... Actual size, so if you have 4GB of RAM your cache size must be at minimum 4294967296 bytes. although an additional 10% buffer is recommended, so for 4GB RAM you should have 4.5-5GB cache, if you have 8GB of RAM you should have ~9GB cache. Outside of the consideration of hibernation, cache space recommended varies by system use and application.

Improve Power Manager for a laptop
2.7. The default settings of Power Manager for a laptop, can be improved.

a. By default, the icon of Power Manager in the system tray of the panel, doesn't show the remaining percentage of battery charge. That's not handy. Fix it like this:

Right-click mouse on the Power Manager icon in the system tray - Configure... - Display: change that to: Show percentage

b. Furthermore, it's useful to set "shutdown immediately" for closing the laptop lid. You can enable that option as follows:

Click on the icon of Power Manager in the system tray (an ordinary left-click) - Power Settings - section Power Options: When the lid is closed: set it to Shutdown immediately. Both for "On A/C power" and for "On battery power".
Source - https://sites.google.com/site/easyl...-first#TOC-Improve-Power-Manager-for-a-laptop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online