The problem NO ONE can solve

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

fishboy666

Hows it going, guys? I have the tech problem that no one on Earth seems to have a clue about so if anyone can help me Id greatly appreciate it. I had a DVD/CD RW drive that did EVERYTHING perfectly except for ONE thing. If I wanted to play a PC game from the DVD it wouldnt read the disc. It would install a game from the DVD just fine, but when I click on the icon to start the game it would just say "Disc not inserted" or something similar. I thought the drive must have been hosed so I got a new one. EXACT same thing happens. It will play music CD's, play DVD movies, burn CD's and DVD's, and play CD-ROM games and install either DVD or CD games. But as soon as I try to PLAY the game from DVD, like my new Half Life 2 or Unreal Tournament 2004, it just doesnt seem to read the disc so it wont start. WHAT THE [email protected]#??!! These are legit store bought copies, not ripped copies or anything like that. HELP!!!

system specs:
AMD FX-53
MSI K8N NEO 2 PLATINUM MB
1 GIG CORSAIR DDR 400 RAM
MAXTOR 300 GB SERIAL ATA 7,200 RPM HD
ATI RADEON X800 XT PLATINUM EDITION
WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL;

Your games are using CD copy protection mechanisms that are incompatible with many burners (both CD and DVD burners). I've had to install a regular CD-ROM drive in a few machines because the customer's games won't work in their burner. The solution is to just buy a regular, plain, non-writing, 52x CD-ROM drive.

fishboy666 said:
But its DVD's, not CD's. But does the same principle apply?
Oh I'm sorry, didn't notice you were playing DVD games too. In that case you'd better buy a DVD-ROM drive (not DVD burner), that should play both CD and DVD games ok.

If you have certain CD duplicating software installed on your system, you will get that message. I had CD-Clone. I uninstalled it and it was gone. I can't remember which forum I found the info on... I think Alcohol 120% might have been one of the others listed.

Arcadion said:
Your games are using CD copy protection mechanisms that are incompatible with many burners (both CD and DVD burners). I've had to install a regular CD-ROM drive in a few machines because the customer's games won't work in their burner. The solution is to just buy a regular, plain, non-writing, 52x CD-ROM drive.

I already tried 2 non-burning cd drives, a Creative 52X and a Lite-On 48x. It seems to be an issue between XP and Gigabyte motherboards (Nvidia chipset).

Some games have over zealous copy protections. If you have Daemon Tools, Alcohol, CD emulation programs, or some others installed, they will not work. Even if you are completely legit, it may not work. The RPG game Sacred is notorious for not working. You should read the boards regarding it. For some reason, such games are quirky and just don't like certain machines, yet run flawlessly on others.

Wow, nevermind I fixed it today by switching both cd drives to PIO modes in XP. Everything is running great except for my lock-ups during games (Coming soon to another thread near you).

Hulk701

Banned
Hey Gang,

Thanks for the tips. I was using Mechwarrior 4 Vengeance and it won't work on my DVDRW but it works fine on my CDRW..

I was thinking about getting a new DVDRW for Christmas and replacing my CDRW so I could have TWO DVDRW's.

Now I changed my decision and my wish-list.. ;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online