The Problem NO ONE can solve

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

inthewoods

I have a new Matsonic mobo with a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 processor and 120GB hdd.
When I connected everything, everything was recognized. The hdd, fdd, cd-rom, RAM, etc. It went through the post just fine. Then, all I get is a blinking cursor. I cannot get the [email protected][email protected]! thing to boot from a bootable floppy or from the cdrom. After it recognizes everything, it's like it doesn't have any connection. All I get is the flippin' blinking cursor.
I know there is someone out there with the knowledge to help me.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE help me.

Wow, that really, really sucks!

Has the computer ever worked before? You say it makes it thru the post everytime? Damn, I cant think of what it could be, myself, because the post should generally tell you any errors in the BIOS or configuration....

Im trying to think of what might be in the way of it booting up.. And tragically, I cant! Im sure someone else on here has a better answer though. Hope you get it on its feet again, that is, of it ever was.

try resetting the clearing the cmos via the clear cmos jumper on the motherboard.

Maybe there is a glitch in the bios and that might fix it.

Also try a different video card.

Okay, I have had similar problems before. My problem occured when I was installing a hard drive for someone that has previously installed software on it. So..

Q: Is there more than one HD present on the system?

Q: If there is, is each one appropriatly set to master/slave or cable select with each being in the proper place on the cable?

Recomendation.. If there is more than one HD present, start trouble shooting by removing the HD that DOES NOT house the OS. Reboot.

If this does not work.. You may want to try removing all peripherals (cards, USB devices, etc.. ) that are not nessesary to the system functionality. Since the system POST like you said, there is no telling.

Afterthought. There may even be a problem in the system files (i.e. WIN.INI/SYSTEM.INI) or the Windows Registry that could cause this. However, base on the information given I cannot offer or advise you to rummage around in either. I am simply supporting ideas.

Thanx,

Lyrical

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Lyical is on the right track. The HDD and CD drive should be set correctly. Make sure that the CD drive and Hard Drive is set properly, ie the HDD is Master and the CD Drive is on Slave on the same cable (Primary IDE) If you are using both of the IDE cables, that is not a good idea, but if you are, make sure both drives are on Master.

That will be the only reason why there is no connection... even though the machine recognises the parts.

One other thing you can do is connect the Hard drive only (with the FDD) and see if the machine will work.

another thought, while in the bios make sure it is set to go to the floppy first, cd second, and hd last on boot sequence.

inthewoods

The hdd is empty. And those are all very good ideas: I've tried every single one.
Thank you guys for trying: I've come to the point that I figure it must be the mobo. It is brand new, but I have ruled out all the other possiblities that my poor little brain can figure, as well as the possibilities of numerous other brains like yours.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If the drive is clear that means there is no OS system to load. You will need to get a Windows 98SE boot-up so that way you can install Windows.

It's not the MoBo if you can see the devices on boot up.

Here is another thought.

If your HD has an OS on it and has more than one partition, the partitions may be inappropriatly labeled as far as which one is the system and which is the boot partition. If they are not labeled correctly, the system will not boot.

You can use a DOS boot disk (if it will work) to get to the command prompt, then use fdisk to check the partition labels. If a DOS boot floppy wont work, then more than likely thye BIOS is not configured properly to look to the floppy, then CD, then HD.

Lyrical

inthewoods

I had no OS installed on my computer.
I configured the BIOS to Read fdd, cdrom, then hdd. I also tried every possible configuration of those three things.
Also, I used a boot disk, and it did not read the floppy drive.
The hdd is new: it was empty. I checked the hdd in another machine.
I tried to just boot up with RAM, fdd, and video card.
I had my RAM checked at a local computer shop.
I tried another video card.
I checked the jumper settings on the mobo as well as the fdd, cdrom, and hdd.

If it isn't the mobo, I have no clue as to what it could be.

I had a problem like this before.. With my PC, my brother formatted the HD before he backed up the drivers for the floppy and cd rom. When I tried to boot, it wouldn't read either.

If you can, try taking the HD to your friends again, and hook it up as a slave. Start the initial installation setup through his PC to your drive. When I did it, I didn't even have to let it go all the way. Just enough to get the drivers on and the basic OS installation files.

Not sure if this will work for you, but it is worth a try. It worked for me.

Lyrical

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online