1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The problems with Music sharing and downloading..

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Y4J, Apr 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Y4J

Y4J Thread Starter

I REALLY want to download music, but I don't want to go the way of places like Kazaa where you download music for free, butnyou can get in trouble by music companies. (or whoever gets you in trouble) I remember they passed a law about not doing that anymore and with that being stated, I stopped Peer to Peer downloading. Well now that I don't do that anymore, I want to still download music, but I want to do it in a LEGAL way.

I know that Napster is legal, but you pay 99 cents a song. And though that is reasonable, there is nothing wrong with looking for cheaper rates :p. Well I came across a site called MP3U.com

the addy is
    http://www.mp3u.com/[email protected]_mp3u&lid=1204

Well anyways, they are charging a dollar a MONTH for UNLIMITED downloads. That sounds good!

Now with saying that, can anyone answer me this.. (I don't know a lot about this so bear with me.)

I know places like napster are legal now they charge and all that (even says on their site). So is MP3U legal too? Cuz I know if you are caught on P2P like Kazaa, you can get a HEAVY fine, as someone I knew did in fact. So is MP3U legal? And if not, can you show me places where I can do that?

I REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks

2. dannyboyfx

dannyboyfx

almost looks to good to be true. However they do say download music, and videos, wheraeas most illegal places will call them files, not specifically music or videos. I would say wait to download it for a little while.

3. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

You can download off of any p2p , simply do not upload/store any amount of files and they will leave you alone ....or move to Canada :) .The RIAA are mainly after users who offer large amounts of files to others.

4. Bman

Bman

I just took a look at that site... I don't believe you can download all the most recent movies and music LEGALLY for 97 cents a month. This just looks like a 'frontend' on a P2P network. I couldn't find anywhere on the site where they said it was legal. If it's too good to be true, it usually is.

5. joehandy

joehandy

walmart has music download cards...$.88 per song...great quality...fairly large library...

6. Horowitz

Horowitz

Walmart.... come on people buy the cd or be a thief and great quality with no restrictions from the many excellent p2p operations! =)

7. Y4J

Y4J Thread Starter

Horowitz, I am wanting to start dj-ing, and I dont need a WHOLE CD for a single or two, so I want to download music so I can compose cds of my own. And I don't want to risk getting caught. Since I said I don't wanna ILLEGALLY download, im asking for advice.

8. blackecho

blackecho

no, that site can not be legal. notice the "programs" icon up there at the top. i've not yet seen a pay-per-month program that lets you download software.

9. Y4J

Y4J Thread Starter

700mb...

WHen the law passed, this 70 year old man (about a city away from me) was fined because his grandkids downloaded a FEW songs off a p2p. THey really just pick someone who is doing it. And they dont find people on the p2p programs. THey contact your ISP.

ANyone know of any cheap places to download?

10. iori_yagami

iori_yagami

you can take a look at this site, not sure if it's p2p though, http://www.21century-mp3.com/ , i also heard that one way that you can retain from being 'fined' is that you stop sharing any files you have in kazaa and move them to another location, instead of having them in "my shared folder".
    you can probably check that out..

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!