Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error

12K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  cb49747 
#1 ·
I have searched here and googled this error, and while I have found similar, nothing that same as this.

I have been unable to update my Itunes, so after some research I realized it was the failure to update quicktime durring the Itunes update that was really happening. I have tried multiple things to fix this, all of which have been unsuccessful. Nothing would tell me why, just that quicktime failed to update.

My next step was to uninstall quicktime, this also failed with no reason why. So I attempted to Manually delete all quicktime files, and then run tuneup utilities to remove all registry entries. However when doing this I found I could delete all files, except the folder c:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\QuickTimeStreaming.Resources\de.lproj . When I try I get the below error message

Code:
Cannot delete de.lproj: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error
When I try to go into the directory de.lproj I receive the this error message.

Code:
c:\Program  Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\QuickTimeStreaming.Resources\de.lproj is not accessible.
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
I have tried doing it from a different user, I have tried from safe mode but just keep getting the same I/O device error. I have looked in the device manager and no errors there either. changing the permissions and ownership but am unable to do that as well. I have run a virus scan and rootkit scan with avg and a scan with Super Anti Spyware. All of these came of negative. Also because I'm sure someone will ask, yes I have administrator privileges.

I'm at a loss of what to do next.

I'm running windows xp sp sp3 Not sure on what version of quicktime I was running, but it had to be a version from the last 6 months.

Any ideas?

See less See more
#2 ·
hiya,maybe this could be of use
It sounds as though the file referred to in the error message is corrupt and Windows cannot read it.

Try running a disk check. If it finds and fixes errors, try reininstalling. If not it it doesn't work, go on to the next step.

Try renaming c:\programfiles\commonfiles\apple\mobile device support\syncservices\schemas\calendars.syncschema\contents\windows\calendars.exe as ...calendars.old.

If Windows will not allow that, then rename the containing folder.

This should allow the install to proceed as it will not see the corrupt file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.