1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"the required internet protocol is not installed"

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by DittoDude, Nov 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DittoDude

DittoDude Thread Starter

Help! I replaced a hard drive on an old computer and restored the original programs and everything is fine until I get on the internet. When I go to any site, things are not laid out right. When I go to Microsoft.com and click on "downloads" I get a message "the required internet protocol is not installed".

The old Compaq computer has Windows 95 and IE 4.4 and I'm using TCP/IP. I can't download a newer version of IE because of the protocol error. I've swapped monitors & drivers with my newer computer and I still have the same problem with the old computer.

I've set up my old computer exactly the same as the computer I'm typing on now but the problem persists.

I believe the problem may be my old Windows 95 or IE version. I may borrow a copy of Windows 98 (for test purposes only) and install it and see if that corrects the problem.

Does anybody else have any ideas?

2. phrozenmayhem

phrozenmayhem

3. DittoDude

DittoDude Thread Starter

4. phrozenmayhem

phrozenmayhem

5. DittoDude

DittoDude Thread Starter

Thanks y'all, I was able to solve the problem . . . finally.

I downloaded a newer version of IE into my working computer, C:\Windows Update Setup Files, and then I set up a Direct Cable Connection and copied that folder to my old computer. I then logged onto the internet and ran the setup.exe command. It downloaded a couple of more megs and installed it on my old computer. Everything seems to be working OK for now. Thanks!

p.s. Getting the DCC to work properly was a bear.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58657

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice