The "Safely remove hardware" icon isn't pressable

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

namo

I have windows 7 ultimate and The "Safely remove hardware" icon is available but when I press on it nothing appear or happen. I try right mouse click and left mouse click but nothing happen.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Do you have a removable USB device plugged in?

namo

yes , I do. when I plug usb device, "safely remove hardware" icon appears but I click on it nothing happen(no menu to choose which device to remove safley). I don't know when this problem start so I cannot do system restore.

TerryNet

Terry
It is the same. Is there another way to remove USB devices safely until I solve the icon problem?
Restart or shutdown the computer.

The danger is that something will be in a buffer and not written to the device. If you did not write to the device there is little danger of any problem.

"Safely remove hardware" was required on older versions of Windows that performed write caching on removable drives. Write caching improves performance by first copying data to a buffer (which is faster, especially with USB 1.1 ports), then writing it gradually to the drive in the background; "Safely remove" forces Windows to flush the buffer and complete writing to the drive.

All versions of Windows since XP have had write-caching for removable drives disabled by default. Thus, when you copy files to a removable drive, once the copy dialog closes, the files are completely written, and the drive can be removed. As long as you haven't changed that option, you should be able to simply unplug the drive at any time, as long as there's no dialog.

If you want to check it, though, with the drive plugged in, right-click Computer, and select Manage. Then in the Computer Management window, select Device Manager. Expand the Disk Drives item on the right panel, then right-click the USB drive and select Properties. Go to the Policies tab of the next window and check that "Quick Removal (Default)" is selected.

shutdown your computer then remove the device can be a possibility but just like soundy said there is no problem removing a device in moderns OS.

Hiya Namu,try this
1. Open the Run command by pressing the Windows logo key +R.

2. Enter the following command and hit Enter:
RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll
This will bring up the "Safely Remove Hardware" dialog box:see if anything in there what could be causing the prblem

namo

Hiya Namu,try this
1. Open the Run command by pressing the Windows logo key +R.

2. Enter the following command and hit Enter:
RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll
This will bring up the "Safely Remove Hardware" dialog box:see if anything in there what could be causing the prblem
thank you. I will then have to this until I solve the problem with The "Safely remove hardware" icon in Notification Area Icons

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online