The "Science and Space" Thread #2

ekim68

Mike
Yep, basically a rail gun the length of a flight deck. During my years in the Navy I flew off/on several carriers while on EW meetings. We flew on E-2 mail planes but while we were on deck a bunch of F-4s took off and talk about power... :cool:

valis

whoa....never knew you did that...my sisters hubby did 26 years in an F16 and thinks anyone who voluntarily lands on a carrier is certifiably bonkers....I am impressed Mike...

ekim68

Mike
To guild the lily, I met Hank Ketcham on one of my trips and he was getting material for his Half Hitch cartoon.. :cool:

ekim68

Mike

NASA sounding rocket finds helium structures in sun's atmosphere

Previously, when measuring ratios of helium to hydrogen in the solar wind as it reaches Earth, observations have found much lower ratios than expected. Scientists suspected the missing helium might have been left behind in the Sun's outermost atmospheric layer - the corona - or perhaps in a deeper layer. Discovering how this happens is key to understanding how the solar wind is accelerated.

ekim68

Mike

ekim68

Mike

Laser Beams Reflected Between Earth and Moon Boost Science

Dozens of times over the last decade NASA scientists have launched laser beams at a reflector the size of a paperback novel about 240,000 miles (385,000 kilometers) away from Earth. They announced today, in collaboration with their French colleagues, that they received signal back for the first time, an encouraging result that could enhance laser experiments used to study the physics of the universe.

ekim68

Mike

NASA hails primary mission of planet-hunting TESS a "roaring success"

Launched in 2018 as the successor to the Kepler Space Telescope, NASA had high hopes for its Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS) when it comes to finding other worlds that resemble our own. The space telescope has now wrapped up the primary phase of its mission, completing an extensive survey of the starry sky that revealed 66 new exoplanets and thousands more candidates.

TESS uses a set of four low-power and low-noise digital cameras to study stars up to 30,000 light years away, and up to 100 times brighter than those studied by Kepler.

ekim68

Mike

Perovskite and organic solar cells tested in space for first time

Perovskite and organic solar cells have proven promising alternatives to the widespread silicon-based devices, and now they’ve been tested in space for the first time. Not only did these solar cells perform well, but they’re much thinner and lighter than those currently used and were found to absorb even diffuse light reflected back from Earth.

Silicon has been the solar cell material of choice for decades, and it’s served us well so far. But it may soon be usurped by perovskite, which has advanced so quickly in the last decade or so that its efficiency is already approaching that of silicon.

ekim68

Mike

How Do You Solve a Moon Mystery? Fire a Laser at It

The moon is drifting away. Every year, it gets about an inch and a half farther from us. Hundreds of millions of years from now, our companion in the sky will be distant enough that there will be no more total solar eclipses.

For decades, scientists have measured the moon’s retreat by firing a laser at light-reflecting panels, known as retroreflectors, that were left on the lunar surface, and then timing the light’s round trip.

ekim68

Mike

Citizen Scientists Discover Dozens of New Cosmic Neighbors in NASA Data

We’ve never met some of the Sun’s closest neighbors until now. In a new study, astronomers report the discovery of 95 objects known as brown dwarfs, many within a few dozen light-years of the Sun. They’re well outside the solar system, so don’t experience heat from the Sun, but still inhabit a region astronomers consider our cosmic neighborhood. This collection represents some of the coldest known examples of these objects, which are between the sizes of planets and stars.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts