1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The Sims 1 On Windows 7

Discussion in 'Games' started by thewolfnears, Jan 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thewolfnears

thewolfnears Thread Starter

Howdy, people.

Well, I recently purchases Sims 1 - The Complete Collection used from eBay. Although scratched quite a bit, I entered the serial code and it installed without a hitch.

After it installed, I restarted my computer and I started the game. The silver Sims splash screen came up but it went a "lit" black and then really black, as if my display had turned off.

It is then that i receive the "The Sims has stopped working" error message, and it then attempts to find a resolution which doesn't succeed. Ever.

I tried running the game in 'compatibility mode' but to no avail. I tried it with Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP Service Packs 2 and 3 and even tried it with Windows Vista. Nothing worked.

This error message also seems to alternate with another saying "can't find the Sims data directory" or something like that, but I haven't gotten that error message in a while.

I don't know why I'm having such a hard time getting it to run, I mean I was playing Star Wars: Dark Forces II just fine on my computer and that game predates The Sims by several years.

I have been searching for a solution since Saturday, the day I received the game, but i have not found one.

Here is my system info.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD C-60 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 20 Model 2 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2667 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6200 series Graphics, 384 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 131254 MB, Free - 44144 MB; D: Total - 148387 MB, Free - 148104 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc., K53U
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

These were all the details I could recall, I tried to be as through as possible.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I appreciate it.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Uninstall The Sims, then change the compatibility mode of the setup.exe file to Windows XP and see if that helps

3. thewolfnears

Thank for your answer!

In the process of uninstalling it now. I'll post an update later.

4. thewolfnears

Just finished re-installing it.

It didn't work, unfortunately. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I appreciate it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1038856

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice