1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The source code of a website

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Christoph, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Christoph

Christoph Thread Starter

I've been trying to download something for quite sometime from a website, using the download manager GetRight (on account of my dialup connection). However, and this is the case for many links, the program simply doesn't work with the link. I have no idea why this is; I right click and select Download with GetRight, and then all is usually fine from there, but when I try it with this website (and others), it prompts me in the Save Target window to save an INDEX file, which is usually about 2kb or more (as in not the download, obviously). The odd thing about it though, is that if I simply click on the link, the default download window (for I.E) opens and begins downloading, althought at a slow rate.

If there's an explanation for this happening in GetRight, I'd appreciate any help in solving the problem. But another solution would be to look through the source code of the website and find the link for the download (just looking at the properties of the link by right clicking doesnt work), which can then be implemented into GetRight. I'm no good at finding it though, so I was wondering if someone could help me out. The link is below.

http://gabi.utgjiu.ro/sg1/ep.php?ep=716

Thanks, any help is appreciated! :)

2. BillC

BillC

Just what are you seeking to download?

3. hewee

hewee

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I'll reopen this atleast temporarily since there seems to be some uncertainty as to the legitimacy of this site. Comments are welcome. If someone has clear knowledge of the issue feel free to pm me or another Moderator to take the appropriate action.

5. Christoph

Christoph Thread Starter

It would be considered pirating if the episode was, say, off a DVD. But these episodes are taped WHILE on tv, and then uploaded and compressed to the internet. There's no pirating involved. It's no different than taping an episode with a VCR while your out and watching it again later.

Can someone please help, if not with the source code but with the problem with GetRight?

6. Christoph

Christoph Thread Starter

Anyone?

7. sekirt

sekirt

I am not so sure I agree with that. There are masses of people downloading from here - makes absolutely no difference if it comes from a DVD.

At any rate...go there and click the Comments button....seems to be other sources and maybe you can solve your problem with a different web site. Or maybe some kind of helpful hints if you read enough of them.

sekirt

8. Christoph

Christoph Thread Starter

Thanks for the help.

But..yeah, it does make a difference if it comes from a DVD or not. DVD's are sold, tv episodes aren't, especially in the low quality that their uploaded. Just because a lot of people download from there, doesn't make it more illegal or something.

9. sekirt

sekirt

Not taking sides but the way the laws stand today, I disagree with your statements.

Did you think TV shows are not copyrighted? Yes the concern is aimed more at DVD quality - and computers can capture that from TVs.

Partial article (bold font, my emphasis):

BTW, hope you found something useful in the comments, you are welcome.

sekirt

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!