1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The struggle

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by StetsonCarson, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StetsonCarson

StetsonCarson Thread Starter

Greetings new friends.

I am locked in the battle to end all battles right now as we speak. Let me preface this post by saying that I am not extremely tech savvy. I'm not on the "grandma can't get facebook to go" level, but when we start getting into really specific cmd prompts and BIOS stuff, I'm probably going to get lost in the sauce a little bit.
    Back to the battle. Right now, I am dealing with a computer that seems to have had some sort of stroke. Many windows utilities (Installer, Volume Shadow, System Restore, freaking RESOLUTION :mad: ) are simply dead. There is really nothing of consequence on this computer, so after I tried in vain to fix these issues as they were occurring, I quickly came to the conclusion that there were horrible things going on behind the scenes with this installation of windows, and that my best bet would be to hit it with a tactical reinstall.
    If only it was that easy, guys. I downloaded the official windows upgrade program deal, opened her up, and was already planning on what stuff I was gonna re download first, when I was hit by a very early error message.

"Windows could not retrieve information from the disks on this computer."

Crap. So I googled the error message (My most successful computer fixing strategy) And I came across an answer. My Virtual Disk Space was disabled in SERVICES.MSC. Ha! Victory was mine. I enabled it, rebooted, and started the installation again, victory cigar already lit. But, it was like every movie I ever saw. Just when you think the bad guy is dead, he's back, and he's pissed. The error message came up again, so I delved deeper and deeper into the problem. Each time I got a new solution (Run SFC/SCANNOW, Install new drivers, windows update, windows upgrade anytime) I was met with a new unconquerable problem, which I, in my limited knowledge, believe to be stemming from my somehow destroyed installation of windows.

TL;DR

I need to install windows again to fix the corrupt version of windows I have, but, I need to fix the corrupt version of windows I have to install windows again, but I need to install windows again... repeat indefinitely.

SFC/SCANNOW returns this lovely message after hitting enter: Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service.

It doesn't matter if I'm in regular mode, safe mode, or the danger zone. It won't go.

Microsoft Silverlight will not install because windows installer is not working.

Microsoft's fixit for windows installer just asks you what you're trying to install (silverlight isn't in the list) so you hit none, and it basically is like "OK. Cool, you're not having problems. Peace."

Microsoft tech support doesn't care about anything except you buying a new windows, which is funny, because if they even listened to me, they would know that I can't get windows to install on my computer, and I don't think buying a new copy of the same thing I have right now is going to magically make my computer well enough to install it... right?

Someone suggested I try the Microsoft anytime upgrade, and that seemed promisingish, until it told me that it couldn't make a restore point, and to just go activate that really quick, and we could go about our business. By this point, I am smart enough to know that another error is going to stop me in my tracks. I was right. I went to go turn those on, and was informed that my Volume Shadow Copy service isn't working. For more information view the event log.

Which is this:
    Volume Shadow Copy Service error: A critical component required by the Volume Shadow Copy service is not registered. This might happened if an error occurred during Windows setup or during installation of a Shadow Copy provider. The error returned from CoCreateInstance on class with CLSID {e579ab5f-1cc4-44b4-bed9-de0991ff0623} and Name IVssCoordinatorEx2 is [0x80040154, Class not registered
    ].

Operation:
    Instantiating VSS server

Guys. Please help me. This whole process has just been one huge circle, where each time I think I'm about to fix everything, something else stops me dead. Is there anyone out there who can decipher this madness?

Mike

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD A10-6800K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 21 Model 19 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 7983 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 5670, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 326619 MB;
    Motherboard: MSI, FM2-A75MA-E35 (MS-7721)
    Antivirus: None

2. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

If reinstalling Windows from disk or a recovery partition doesn't work, maybe the hard drive failed. The hard drive manufacturer's site should have a utility to check.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140793

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice