1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The Sword of Damocles

Discussion in 'Controversial Topics' started by Lanctus, Oct 4, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Lanctus

Lanctus Thread Starter

If you learned that you had a fatal disease or condition with 100% human mortality rate, and only had about a year to live, what would you do or do different in the remaining time?

2. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Nothing different.
    Already doing what I want and I've already been real close to 'the great beyond' to be aware life is short.

Yourself?

3. Lanctus

Lanctus Thread Starter

Undecided. I've tried to live most of my life as I think I should, and have gathered and given a lot of Love in that time. I would like to hang around for a long time for my family and the good I can do, not so much for myself. If it's my time to rest and meet the Creator, it would be bittersweet for me.

Johnny b likes this.
  4. Wino

Wino

Think I'd buy a 4x4 decked out 2019 F150 Ford Pick up with a six month delayed payment start and take a long trip to Big Bend National Park and Yellowstone. Then let them repossess if I live longer than 6 months. Otherwise, I've done about all the damage I can do in this life time and will be upset when I go into the abyss.

Unfortunately, our mortality is limited and we all have the same destination. If you haven't done it right with a new prognosis and possibly known end up to now, you're a little late trying to set things right. As the song goes, "regrets, I've had a few, but then, too few to mention". I do not plan to go peacefully into the goodnight, but kicking and screaming.:eek::p

5. bomb #21

bomb #21

What's that thing called where you can't forget really trivial things? Like, I remember Wino posting one time "Sinatra couldn't carry a tune in a bucket". :D

Campervan, UK national parks. 2nd choice, narrow boat with a cat as first mate.

Wino and Lanctus like this.
  6. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    A good question. If I had a year, probably not much change. Once it got to three months.. I would probably start making different decisions.

But its also contingent upon whether I still felt OK leading up to it.

Lanctus likes this.
  7. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Just got my daily motorcycle ride in, before the cold front sets in so I'm happy as a clam :D

8. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Ohh.. a motorcycle would definitely figure into the picture for me.

9. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    If you're a novice/learner, just be safe and learn the risks.

Generally, I don't think the head of a family should be learning to ride :)

Get that red Corvette you always wanted :D

Lanctus and Drabdr like this.
  10. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Well.. recall... this is only if I had one year to live. I would get a bike. And YES... learn to ride for my license.

If I got one now.. my life expectancy and my marriage would be very very short. :D

Lanctus likes this.
  11. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    I have seen marriages break up over a MC.
    But there were other issues, too :D

Drabdr likes this.
  12. RT

RT

Good points brought up about how much time you have and you might feel in that time...of course we won't know til we get there...

I was at my best friend's funeral years ago, talking with a mutual friend, and he said something like 'You work hard all your life, try to save some money - then you get sick and die and somebody else gets it all.'

So in that rather cynical and perhaps bitter vein, and depending on est. time, I'd start spending my money on myself, giving in to luxuries and experiences I've never treated myself to. Can't say what that would be specifically, I'd just give in to my whims atm.
    For a damn change :D

Lanctus likes this.
  13. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    RT....you need a motorcycle .................:D

RT likes this.
  14. RT

RT

:cool: Johnny, been there, done that! Loved it too back in the day :)

15. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    My only regret is I just don't have the energy for the long distance trips I used to take when I was much younger.

I'd like to ride the Canadian Rockies again, along with a ride up to Fairbanks.

I'd like to off road again in Arizona and Nevada.

But I've developed physical limitations over the last few decades ( mostly arthritis )and it just isn't going to happen on a motorcycle again.

Lanctus likes this.
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217385

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice