The system cannot find the drive specified help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cruxis

my old laptop crashed recently, so i had the harddrive taken out and made into an external harddrive with all my data on it. when i plugged it into another laptop, it worked perfectly, i opened it up and looked through all my files and everything.

now i have a [COLOR=blue !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=blue !important][FONT=inherit !important]new [/FONT][COLOR=blue !important][FONT=inherit !important]laptop[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] here, and when i plug in the external harddrive it opens and i have all my folders in front of me.. but they are shortcuts, such as G:\Users\ and when i open it, it tells me the system cannot find the drive specified?

At any time did you disconnect the external drive while the computer was on?

If so, did you use the "safely disconnect" procedures?

NOT doing so can damage the drive.

RF123

cruxis

no ive never done that, im sure the drive is still functional, i just cant access it on this laptop for some reason

Could be the adapter / external drive housing & electronics.

How do you know that the drive hasn't failed?

RIGHT click "computer"
Left click "manage"
Maximize the screen
On the left, left click "disk management"

Now, take / create a screen using.

Using the snipping tool [ lots of tutorials on the web ],
Return to this thread
Use "go advanced"
Left click "manage attachments"
Browse; upload; close; submit reply

RF123

In the Gateway drive, right click a file and click properties. If it is a shortcut, select the shortcut tab. What is the path there? Better yet take a screenshot of that and post it here.

I agree with Lance1. Who wouldn't? :)

Please attach screen shots here. I don't visit non forum sites for attachment viewing.

"go advanced " > "manage attachments"
browse; upload; close window
"submit reply"

RF123

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online