1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The system cannot find the file specified.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JohnN2, Jun 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnN2

JohnN2 Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have a hard drive which I pulled from my previous Dell Thinkcentre M93P desktop, because it's probably broken and not able to start the operating system, and I wanted to retrieve all the important files in there. However, after I hook it up to another computer, and I put in the correct recovery key to decrypt BitLocker, it just loaded for 10 minutes and pop up a message saying "An error occurred, The system cannot find the file specified", and the drive just disconnected from the PC.

error.jpg

Do you guys have any clue about it?

Thank you very much.

John

2. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

That drive is almost undoubtedly failing and you have to decide if the data is worth it; but, if it is:
    Get another, same size drive.
    Hook them both up to a working PC.
    Clone (photocopy) the failing drive to the replacement (be very careful to choose the right drives and you need to copy the device or a full sector by sector copy (depends on the software))
    Remove the failing drive.
    Reboot and see what happens on the copy.
    I confirmed that physically copying a bitlocker encrypted drive leaves the second drive openable with bitlocker.
    For cloning: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-free-and-reliable-cloning-tools/

3. JohnN2

JohnN2 Thread Starter

I appreciate your input Mr. McCarn, as a new IT guy I have learned a lot about data recovery this time even though I failed to save it. I have already sent the hard drive to a data recovery shop because I have no other options. Thank you all for replying.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1191881

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice