1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The system could not log you on

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by stumped pc user, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stumped pc user

stumped pc user Thread Starter

I hope you can help me. I have a Gateway Desktop with Windows XP Home. I am not a very sophisticated user but after downloading MS service pak's first the click on User name - name (Owner) disappeared, I used control alt delete and hit return and it by passed and got me to my desktop. Then after another Service Pak download I couldn't do that, the login Administrator needed a password which I do not have and do not believe I ever had.

The system could not log you on make sure your User name and domain are correct then type your password again. Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case.

MS was no help. I have tried safe mode I have tried rebooting in safemode and running from my system CD in repair mode. Once a bunch of error messages popped up but I couldn't write them all down and I abandoned that.

Since then I always get to a black screen and it wants a password.

So I can't get to my desktop and don't know how to go about fixing or by passing the problem.

I am not near my home computer now, I am at work so I can't try anything until tonight-can you/do you have any suggestions? It seems there were a lot of posts along time ago about similar problems. I found something on MS web but don't really know how to start as I can't get past the log in. If I need to press some button while starting up to get a screen, please tell me how to do that as well, sorry I am so un savy.

Thanks

2. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

Please Note: This sounds like a violation in the TOS.

Did you ever create yourself an Administrative account the first time you every started this computer or when you installed XP?

3. stumped pc user

I don't remember doing it, I think it just always said Owner and I clicked on it. XP was preinstalled by Gateway.

I don't know what you meant by a violation, I just read the rules again, and if you mean the password I am not doing that. I saw when I searched the web a bunch of people who seemed to have this problem so I thought great, other people have had this problem too, the problem is I don't understand enough to know how to follow the fixes, like if I can't get to my desktop then how can I get to a Start. I assume it has to do with the MS Service Paks that were downloaded, the other thing I forgot to mention was that there was a little shield when I logged off. My only other hope is to get a new hard drive and then try and extract my files from my old hard drive as I don't want to lose them, I have personal stuff that I don't want to lose.

Any help is welcome

4. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

Well just try this.

Press CTRL + ALT + DEL twice at the login screen and a black screen with a secondary login will show up.

Enter the username administrator with no password and click ok.
    The system should log you in. Once you are inside be sure to make yourself an account.

5. stumped pc user

I will try that again but I did that and it worked, then after Service Pak 3 downloaded, I couldn't do that anymore.

Looks like I may have to go back to MS and spend 3 hours on the phone.

I thought this may have something to do with the registry or the like and that other people may have had the problem.

Sorry I am so computer illiterate. Thanks for your help and if you or anyone else has any thoughts, let me know.

6. valis

valis Moderator

why is it asking for a domain? Do you run a network at your house? Or did you buy this second-hand from a company that had it on a domain?

thanks,

v

7. stumped pc user

I don't know, it is my personal PC desktop it is not a network, it is stand alone. Frankly at one point I worried if someone somehow had hacked into me thru internet because it once or twice said something about other users. Frankly I am confused and concerned and I just really need to get back in so I can backup my hard drive and then update my security software.

As I said before, when I googled the message I got, it seemed like alot of people had similar problems and I was relieved. Now, I don't know and I don't know what to do short of buying a new harddrive and starting all over again.

Thanks

8. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

Hi,

It may have been on a domain, does it give you the option to login to (This Copmuter) or (XYZ Company).

Also, You will spend hours and $$$ just to hear the same thing from Microsoft, "Sorry, we cannot assist you in recovering your password, have another administrator on the computer change it for you. If you are the only administrator you will need to perform a system recovery or a new installation of Windows."

-Sorry

9. valis

valis Moderator

how long have you had it? Where did you buy it from? Did you buy it second hand? Generally, machines are put on a domain for a reason; what is the name of the domain? As support.clpafs said, when you hit ctrl-alt-del you will get your logon info; username, password, and domain. The domain will have a drop down box containing whatever domains it was registered on as well as that computer's name.

Obviously at some point it WAS on a domain, or it wouldn't be telling you that the domain name may be incorrect. My home rigs don't ask for that, but they are just in the same workgroup, and I don't require logon, as it's my home network.

thanks,

v

10. stumped pc user

I bought it direct from Gateway about 5 or 6 years ago. It was brand new, never had any other user.

It doesn't ask me for a domain, it's just part of the error message. I will try again tonight when I get home to get on.

Then I think I will give up and get a new harddrive because I don't want to overwrite my files by reinstalling XP Home Edition from disk Gateway sent.

It was preloaded when I got it.

Thanks for your help. If I do find out anything else, I will let you know. If anyone else has heard of this problem, it seems to be related in my mind to the MS automatic downloads of Service Paks, at least that's when the problem happened.

Thanks again.

11. valis

valis Moderator

what you can do is once you get a new hard drive and OS installed is to slave your OLD hard drive to the new one and get your data off that way.

You can also uninstall any sp that you have installed; they all have a spuninst folder in them that have the spuninst.exe; that will uninstall the update for you.

thanks,

v

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752961

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice