1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The "trust relationship" Windows 7 login issue has hit me..

Discussion in 'Networking' started by NoLeader, Mar 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NoLeader

NoLeader Thread Starter

HARD! I get prompted with "the trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed" on almost a quarter of my fleet of laptops at this point, and I've only been able to fix the issue with one of them. I ran a series of commands in the command prompt and a n equal amount of work within Active Directory, so i'm not sure exactly what fix did it. The only work around for the laptops still affected is to login while disconnected from the internet (I run wifi and ether), log in (which works, given the prior step), then to enable the internet access again once you're in. Only then will the damned things recognize the network, albeit over an "unauthenticated" connection. If anyone has experienced something similar and might know of a perma fix, i'd be extremely gracious and all ears.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I've had this happen to a few clients over the span of the several years that Windows 7 has been out, one had about 6 machines that did it over a few week period. I suspected a Windows Update issue on either the machines themselves or the server, never looked too hard for the cause due to the small number of machines affect and quick fix for it. They seemed to only do it once and then never again.

You can just re-join them using the admin account, and you can re-use the same computer name and the profile remains intact.

3. NoLeader

NoLeader Thread Starter

What would be the best way of going about that? I've used the individual units admin credentials to access the machine offline, but it seems to crop back up everytime .

4. valis

valis Moderator

just drop the machine out of the domain into a workgroup, restart, and then re-add it to the domain. That should take care of it.

5. NoLeader

NoLeader Thread Starter

Dropped it, restarted the client pc and now I cant access it using his user credentials, off network. Any ideas? I figure I'm home free once i get back in, but that's the problem.

6. valis

valis Moderator

you need to log in as the local admin, as Triple6 stated. Once you do that, you will be able to rejoin the domain with those creds.

7. NoLeader

NoLeader Thread Starter

Apologies if I wasn't clear, but the local admins credentials wont let me back in to the laptop.

Thanks for all of the assistance btw

8. keltic1der

keltic1der

First Name:
    Donald
    WHen you are trying to access the local admin credentials are you enter in using this format PCNAME\ADMINNAME? I know this sounds silly, but I have seen it many times when people are not entering in the computer name.

9. keltic1der

keltic1der

First Name:
    Donald
    Also, the few times it has happened here, I did not remove the computer from the Domain. I just rebooted it and was able to log in.

10. NoLeader

NoLeader Thread Starter

Haven't tried pcname/admin yet, will give it a shot and post results. I tried rebooting as my first solving method initially yesterday, to no avail.

11. keltic1der

keltic1der

First Name:
    Donald
    If you try PCNAME/Admin it won't work, it has to be PCNAME\Admin

12. NoLeader

NoLeader Thread Starter

Alright,

So I was able to perma fix one laptop using the remove/rejoin method, but on the second attempt with a separate laptop I'm getting an incorrect credentials error. I've tried PCNAME(/\)Admin, but to no avail. Will keep trying to get into it using this method and repost if it works. The remove/Rejoin method worked wonders, though. Cheers.

13. keltic1der

keltic1der

First Name:
    Donald
    How are you typing it in. If the computer admin name is there and it is local to the computer and active, you should be able to access it (if you are using the correct password. In the login name it needs to be PCNAMEHERE\PCADMINIDNAMEHERE
    So if the computer is named
    XYZ-MYCOMPUTER-L and the local computer ID name is PCAdmin you would type in
    XYZ-MYCOMPUTER-L\PCAdmin for the user name

14. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I would suggest removing the computer object from Active Directory as well so when you rejoin them it recreates the object.

As for using a local account, you can make it easier by doing ./<user> (ie ./administrator )

15. NoLeader

NoLeader Thread Starter

I removed the pc from active directory as awhole per the suggestions that helped me fix the first laptop, but for some reason or another it didn't work with the second. Every Time I would gain access and switch workgroups, upon restart it would not allow me to use the laptop admin credentials. I'm thinking it's something to do with, perhaps, the user not setting an admin password and instead just creating a user pass for the network. Then again, after i did a system restore to bring back their account (it disappeared completely after I dropped domains), they were able to use the usual work around of offline/login/online/network connection magically active to gain all access again. It's a conundrum, for sure. Let me know if you guys need any screenshots to or more info to help me suss out the issue here.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1168387

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice