1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The TSG Scam Report Thread.

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by lighthouse, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lighthouse

lighthouse Thread Starter

As we seem to be living in the Age of Scams, Spam and Spivvery - and having just done a Search on TSG to see how any Subscribers are being or asking about Scams - I thought I'd begin a Thread where People can report anything untoward that might be attempted on them.

Have you received anything in your Mail (meaning Letter Post) or Email telling you you've just won Squillions of £s/$s - but to access or be sent it you must first send a Processing/Administration Fee?

Have you been told either directly - or via a Legal Practioner - that someone has left you a large Sum of Money in a Will?

Has anyone contacted you saying they'd like to offer you a huge Sum of Money to invest in the UK/US and they will be your Business Partner?

The First one is quite an obvious Scam in how they are asking for Monies in advance to process an alleged and non-existant amount of Money. It isn't usually that much either - being less than £50 - but if enough People sent it the Scammer makes a Fortune. The equally obvious Question here is, "If I've won that amount of Money why can't they just deduct it from my Winnings before sending it?"

The second is rather less obvious in that they might not want any Money but ask you for a lot of personal Information - which you will send, and guess what, nothing happens - or at least your Money never shows up, while that information and the Content of the Email has to be read very closely. Look for the Wording and any unusual Names. I'm waiting for someone to tell me who "Engr, Jonathan Dodge Rex" is for example - although I have my suspicions it actually refers to someone else - whose Surname has the same Meaning! It could also have other Implications rather more costly than the fictitious Processing Fee you might have sent the previous Scammer.

The last is potentially quite dangerous in how it has lead to People being duped into paying £100s to criminal Gangs - usually operating from west African Countries like the Ivory Coast, Ghana and Nigeria - where they make one Payment, are asked for another and so on - and then even get coaxed into a Meeting with the Fraudsters which has had fatal Consequences.

There are many others too - which we are probably all familiar with - and are more of an Irritant than potentially dangerous or costly. Suffice to say there must be a lot of "Free Ipods", "Free Iphones", "Free Notebooks" etc somehow getting lost in the post - while those really irksome Spam-mails arrive without fail every time huh!

2. Brigham

Brigham

If you google scam 419 you will find many examples of the baiting of scammers. These are where, people that have the time, reply to these crooks, and send them on all sorts of tasks to get their money. Hours of fun!!

3. buffoon

buffoon

It'll be of more benefit if anyone encountering such activities and being landed with problems by them, resolve the same by posting such problems in the security thread, asking for help there.

Even where there is no such intention, we don't want to give a guideline manual in here on how to become a successful spammer or general con artist.

Therefore closing this and thanks for understanding.:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090432

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice