1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The Ultimate Windows XP SP-2 Question?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jack1000, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

What my question would be is:

AFTER APRIL 11TH, WILL YOU BE ABLE TO DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL INDIVIDUAL COMPONENT UPDATES FOR MICROSOFT PRODUCTS FOR XP?) Let's say for example that it is now April 12th, and a security patch is released for OE 6. Could we just do the following:

1) Go to www.microsoft.com

2.) Individually select the product to update or patch to install (I.E my hypothetical OE 6 question) than download and install the patch?

OR

IS EVERYONE RUNNING XP GOING TO BE PROMPTED WITH SOME MESSAGE SAYING: "ATTENTION: SP-2 IS REQUIRED FOR ALL XP UPDATES." OR, DOES THIS SP-2 MANDATORY APPLY ONLY TO RUNNING WINDOWS UPDATE OR AUTOMATIC UPDATE, meaning that we can still download individual product enhancments by going to www.microsoft.com and selecting by product or service?

Jack

2. microcacti

microcacti

You will still get them

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

Why not quit sweating the small stuff and just install SP2? . .

wrs

4. Maverick83

Maverick83

Because SP1 is a better update.

5. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

I guess we shall have to wait and see till after April before we know what will happen,but in all honesty SP2 is easy to install if you get the free cd from Microsoft,and follow a few easy steps ....read this page its full of information on the subject and gives a link to order the free CD,I got it in just over a week here in the UK so its easy to get hold off .....

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/expert/russel_installsp2.mspx

6. Dr Dave

Dr Dave

I received the free SP2 CD from Microsoft and installed it on 5 computers and it took about 15 or 20 min per machine. Thats the way to go with the free CD.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324177

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice