1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The Ultimate WinXP Rebuild Feature

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kidcnote, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kidcnote

kidcnote Banned Thread Starter

http://www.informationweek.com/shared/printableArticle.jhtml?articleID=189400897

WindowsXP option that allows you to completely and nondestructively rebuild, repair, or refresh an existing XP installation. And the kicker is, it leaves all your installed software alone.

It also leaves user accounts, names, and passwords untouched and takes only a fraction of the time a full, from-scratch reinstall does. And unlike a traditional full reinstall, this option doesn't leave you with two copies of XP on your hard drive. Instead, you end up with just the original installation, but repaired, refreshed, and ready to go.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Uhh... Here's something that I've been posting for a long time here in response to issues that require a rebuild, this is old news. And, FYI, this is hardly foolproof, many times it WON'T fix the issue you're having, it's just another arrow in the quiver.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

All you do is boot from the CD. When it asks if you want to repair and to press "R", don't. Continue with the installation just like you were installing for the first time.

You will then get a license agreement and it will ask you to press F8 to agree. Right after that screen, you will see a list of Windows installations that setup found. It will ask if you want to repair it. Read the directions on that page!!!

Then, you will actually press "R" this time and XP will re-install.

When done, you will be back to your familiar desktop with everything looking just like it did before. But all your Windows Updates are gone and you will need to get those again.

3. kidcnote

Gee sorry, I'm not up on my "Read every post/reply John Will has ever posted" :rolleyes: I'll get right on that...NOT!!

4. joeAgain------

joeAgain------

Whoa !!
    I hope that wasn't meant as a sarcastic slam!

JohnWill is a very helpful, knowledgable nice guy!
    And many people(including me)appreciate his presence here as a gracious skilled advisor.

5. norton850

norton850

Maybe you haven't read each and everyone of JohnWill's post, but the advice and instructions on how to do a repair install, probably are posted daily in at lest one of the forums. So......

6. kidcnote

So..So what..lol I simply posted a link to an article..If J Will doesn't agree with it, then take it up with the ppl who wrote the article, not me. :cool: I could care less who he's helped or what advise he's given in this world.
    Means nothing to me one way or the other. ;)

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, it would be useful if you'd at least post "news" articles that actually contain "news", and not just old information. ;)

You might want to get that chip removed from your shoulder too. :rolleyes:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!