1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The Upgrade that Keeps on Snowballing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Swurgen, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swurgen

Swurgen Thread Starter

Preface: I'm pretty damn noobish so please excuse obvious omissions.

My super cheapo motherboard went down. Again. This one only lasted about a month. I decided to upgrade it. A little is never enough for me so while I'm there, why not upgrade the CPU? While I'm doing that, why not some more RAM? I don't trust myself to do anything in there myself so I dropped that stuff off at CompUSA and now they tell me my graphic card is shot too. They know full well that I'm not buying any parts from them so it's not like they stand to gain all that much by pulling my chain. The tech doesn't seem to be a big company man that is trying to milk more cash out of me.

I'm not a big gamer - I've yet to play any games on the machine and I've had it for about 2 yrs. Mostly surfed the net and looking to get into a lot of audio/video editing stuff and DVD burning. There will be no overclocking of anything. I’m running Windows XP home.

I've done a lot of online research and this is what I've actually purchased so far:

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    OCZ EL Platinum (512MBx2) DDR PC-3200
    NEC ND-3520A

Looking to get (still shopping):

BFG GeForce 6600 GT OC
    Western Digital 250GB (at least)

I basically have a few questions...

1) If you see any obvious faux pas up there, please feel free to comment.

2) How much other stuff is there? In other words, how many other parts would there be before I basically purchased a whole new rig? I know I have a pretty good Audigy sound card and I replaced the power supply a few months ago (although have to confirm it's up to the task). Should I just build a whole new box with these new parts? Is there any significant advantage/disadvantage to this?

3) Of these remaining parts that are still left over from the old machine, is there anything I have to look out for when installing all the crap up above (for example...will the power supply give it enough juice)?

4) Outside of sheer asthetics, does it really matter all that much what case I have?

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

You could probably make due with a cheaper vid card since you say you don't play games.

What power supply do you currently have? (make/model/max wattage) With the parts you're collecting I'd want to go with at least a quality 450w PS.

Outside of aesthetics, there are other issues to think about when buying a case.
    - quality of the metal used. (Good cases will use a heavier gauge metal and have rolled edges on the inside so you don't cut yourself while installing parts.)
    - number of drive bays available. (some include drive rails which make it real easy to put in and take out drives.)
    - number and location of places to put case fans. (Ideally you want 1 or 2 in the lower front and one in the back under the power supply.)
    - Front USB / Audio / Firewire ports. (These are very convenient if you're motherboard has connectors them.)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327750

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice