1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"The User Profile Service failed the logon" on a fresh, newly created account

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by diablo75, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diablo75

diablo75 Thread Starter

I'm working on a computer that appears to have gone through the "Windows Recover" virus/malware. The user appeared to do a good job of removing the virus and used System Restore to dial the system back about a week (which unfortunately is the furthest back the restore points go for some reason). Everything seemed to work except for the main users account, which had it's profile locations changed to something like c:\users\TEMP.username-PC.000. It was pointing to this directory instead of the original directory. I then opened up regedit and found the entries at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders all pointing to the wrong folder, so I manually edited every entry to point to the correct folder and restarted.

This ended up working against me. When I logged into the account none of the shell folder shortcuts in the start menu would do anything when you clicked on them. The menu would stay up and it was as if I was clicking on nothing at all; no response.

Instead of reversing the edits I had just made manually I decided to try using System Restore to revert the system back to the earliest date, which the owner of the PC said they had done themselves before I got there. I figured the worst that could happen would be it would be just as it was when I first looked at it.

After performing system restore I can only log into the Administrator account. Every other account on the system produced the error message "The User Profile Service service failed the logon. The user profile cannot be loaded."

I decided that instead of editing the registry any further to instead create a new user account that could eventually replace an old one by moving date from the old to the new. But I get the same error message when I try to log into the newly created account. What a mess. Any ideas about how to fix this or am I looking at doing a full system reinstall?

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

It's probably a typing error but I think you are referring to the Windows Recovery fake computer analysis and optimization program. The owner of the PC only used a restore point that took the machine back one week, which by the sound of it, was not succesfull. System Restore cannot be relied on to remove a virus infection as the restore point may have the infection saved in it. Also, once a system is comprimised by an infection it opens the door for other infections to get into the system.

Only a few helpers with the appropriate permissions can give advice on Malware removal outside of the Malware forum so in order to have the system cleaned of the infection you should open a new thread in the Malware forum.

The other option is to do a full reformat and clean install of the OS.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030204

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice