1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The War With Word

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Skivvywaver, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver Thread Starter

I have been having an issue with microsoft word for 2 days. Every time I open it I get a BSOD.

Being kind of stubborn I decided that "I can handle it" and uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2000 cleaning out as many registry entries as I could find in the machine.

Thinking I surely had it beat I went ahead and reinstalled. As soon as I opened word my machine did the chicken again. Big bad BSOD.

Now I know I should have read what the BSOD said before I posted this but I was kind of :mad: and just pushed the reset.

If anybody has any ideas about what could be causing this issue I'd appreciate any input. Also, it won't be hard to get the BSOD again so I'll go make it happen and post what the thing says.

Out of the whole office 2000 program I use outlook and word. Nothing else on the machine causes the crash. My specs are pretty much in my sig. If you need more info I can dig it up. Thanks.

Edit: After the normal "we are going to shut down your computer to keep you from screwing it up" message. I get the dump of physical memory and the following.
    "The problem seems to be caused by win32k.sys" :confused:

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Try deleting all occurances of normal.dot

3. Skivvywaver

OK, Will do. Do a search of file and folders for normal dot?

4. Skivvywaver

Nothing showing up with that name. The machine is kept spyware and adware free and the normal.dot sounds like crapware to me. I don't even get tracking cookies on here except for passport and that is because I allow it. :(

I have a Office 2003 disk and I am thinking about installing that. I don't like it as well but maybe that will fix the issues.

5. johnni

johnni

I assume you did your search via Start, Search and that you entered normal.dot (not missing out the full stop). Normal.dot is a vital part of Word and is customizeable by you whenever you make any changes to the font, page layout etc. that you expect to see when you open a blank document. Deleting normal.dot just encourages Word to create a new normal.dot using default layout! You MUST have it!
    However your problem appears to be deep-seated as I have never had this problem using Word2000. I hope you get a reply that will solve the problem.

johnni

6. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

just try searching for normal. if you are desparate and need a word processor try a linux live cd or install openoffice.org for windows. free and ez.

7. MSM Hobbes

MSM Hobbes

Has there been any other changes to your system &/or computer, that may have modified any dll's?
    No expert, but I seem to recall that most of BSoD's occur due to a dll conflict, or some kind of incompatibility between different versions...
    Do you always see something related to this "win32k.sys" everytime you get the BSoD?A pretty decent WinXP site is at: http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk/favorites/kbasewinxp.htm
    Do any of the titles here be of help?
    http://support.microsoft.com/search...L&maxResults=25&Titles=false&numDays=&InCC=on

Good luck there Skivvy! ;)

8. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

true true. bsods are mainly from conficts and incompatabilities. the normal file i have a feeling isnt the problem, though if normal is corrupt and word cant recreate it or fix it. there will be problems. win32k.sys normally has had issues in windows 2k, but if your in xp there shouldnt be a problem. have u installed sp2 or whats ur status.
    ps that link, it may be my browser but ms says it cant find the page.

9. MSM Hobbes

MSM Hobbes

iXneonXi - regarding the links in my post, just tried, and both are working... at least from my browser... ???

10. Skivvywaver

I got torqued off an just wiped the HDD. I always have a true image backup so it really doesn't suck as bad as it once did. I also keep allot of valubles on the slave.
    I tried everything I could think of and then some. Out came the disk. Thanks folks. :)

11. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Unfortunately WIN32K is pretty close to the heart of windows and as a result it is normally a little bit difficult to relate errors that occur in it to any specific device.
    Since you have already reinstalled Office, that advice would be wasted, but do please completely remove and reinstall your printer.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271309

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice