1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The wierdest computer problem I've ever had...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Greveouse, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Greveouse

Greveouse Thread Starter

I need some serious help here. I have fixed a few computer problems before, or worked around them, but I really have absolutely no knowledge of this stuff. Alright, heres what happened.

I recently did the system recovery on my computer, and it all worked fine. Then, this morning, I shut off my computer, and began cleaning the fans. I'm not sure if you can do this or not, so that could be where I messed up, but now I got this wierd problem. Everytime I turn on my compter, the moniter does the thing where its indicating the moniter is not plugged into the correct VGA slot.( I have 2 slots, 1 for an onboard, and one for my nVidia FX 5500. It's currently set too my onboard, because I haven't gotten around to installing my FX 5500). Well anyways, this is where it really gets wierd. It does that blinking for a bit, and I screw around with the back piece a bit, and the screen comes up, showing my desktop, which is a picture of the dudes from the movie 300.

BUT, all my Icons are missing for some reason, so I screw around with a few of the settings, to no avail, finally I try loading up my internet explorer... Then this wierd thing happened, where it popped up

<----- Way over there,COMPLETELY Offscreen. So I try closing it, and opening it again, maximizing it, and minimising it, and then I get smart, and use the move tab when you right click the little tab. So I move it to a viewable position, and the internet runs fine. I can also play games, and it works like a charm on them.

I'm not sure what could have happened, I was cleaning off the CPU fan, and the power supply fan, So it could be either one of those... But I seriously hope not. Also, I wiped the Heatsink of the CPU wit a q-tip.. Again... I'm not sure if I should have done that.

It might just be because of the fact that I unplugged everything though, because wierd stuff usually happens when I do that to my comp, but never this wierd. Well, if I messed up my computer, to an unfixable extent, which I think I may have, due to the "Not showing the screen until I screw with the monitor plug in" thing. Please, please help me, because I really don't want to pay another 400$ for a whole new rig, I was just planning on buying a new mother board, but I by no means have the money right now.

Any help would be appreciated.

Oh, BTW, whenever I move my mouse <----- that way, it goes completely off screen... for some reason...

2. redhat9

redhat9

Well chances are that Windows has automatically installed drivers for the NVidia GeForce FX 5500 and is using/thinking the on board video card is a second monitor, in which case all you will see is the background and no icons. Try plugging your monitor into the VGA port on the GeForce FX and see if that brings up your icons and what not. And cleaning your computer like that, thats fine, thats what I do at least and I'm sure other members of the TSG community do the same. Post back with what happens.

3. JustJudy

JustJudy

First Name:
    Judy
    I would remove the additional video card until you are ready to install it. After that go into control panel, display, then settings. Try 1024 x 768, and make sure it's not set up with a mirror, or dual monitors...It sounds like it's set to dual monitors by the way you are saying it goes off the screen. If there was a 2nd monitor attached, it would appear on that. I think most likely when you first booted, your icons weren't gone, they were just off the screen.

4. Greveouse

Greveouse Thread Starter

Thanks man, worked like a charm I appreciate the help. All I did was Install the driver from the nVidia website, and installed my video card, and now it works fine. Thanks again.

5. redhat9

redhat9

Cool, glad that your problem is solved. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!