1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The wifi is half the speed than the rest of the pc

Discussion in 'Networking' started by choccakes, Nov 6, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. choccakes

choccakes Thread Starter

So I bought a new wifi adapter for my pc, and i stupidly started messing around the settings to try and increasing the wifi speed. But i managed to stuff it up and now the wifi is half times slower than original. I went on my other devices and checked for my wifi speeds, but the wifi speed is normal. I took the wifi adpter tio the store to get a refund, so when i got a new one and installed the new PCIE wifi adapter, it appears that the wifi problem is still present and nothing is running in the background, i have tried every method to get my wifi speed back, like literally everything. The slow wifi speed is getting annoying and i cannot get my o9ld wifi speed back. I need help as soon as possible thanks.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hello choccakes, and welcome to TSG.

You are not giving us much information to work with. Please provide:

1) Manufacturer, full model number, any revision level for your WiFi adapter.

2) Manufacturer, full model number, any revision level for your WiFi access point.

3) Manufacturer and full model number of your computer.

4) The operating system running on the computer.

3. choccakes

choccakes Thread Starter

Regarding to previous reply

1. Wifi adapter is a Archer T4E , made by tp-link
    2. I do not know the wifi access point
    3. I don't know the model number of the pc since it is custom built?
    4. The operating system is windows 10 home

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are you using the latest Windows 10 wireless driver from TP-Link's web site?

Why not? Whose network are you using?

5. choccakes

choccakes Thread Starter

sorry, im misunderstanding.
    im using my own network but I do not know what a wifi access point is. And yes I am using updated wifi drivers.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Wireless access point = What router are you using?

7. choccakes

choccakes Thread Starter

i am using a tp-link archer vr1600v

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    How are you checking the speeds?

In Windows 10, you can reset the network settings:

Open Network and Internet Settings, then go to Network Reset on the bottom of the Status Page. It will give you 5 minutes to close down any important files you may have. After the reset, check the speeds again.

9. choccakes

choccakes Thread Starter

I have checked the speeds, on my other devices I get 11mbps, but on this pc I get 2mbps with the PCIE adapter but the usb wifi adapter I get 11mbps. Even with the replacement I still get 2mbps download speed. And I have network reset multiple times and I still get bad wifi speeds. It also went to the extent that I reset my whole pc (some files I backed). And I still get bad wifi, it is quite annoying where I cannot research fast enough for school.

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    This is a desktop?

11. choccakes

choccakes Thread Starter

yes It is a desktop

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Download this wireless tool -- remove the usb adapter for troubleshooting.

Once you install and run the program, it should give you the wireless connections your adapter sees. Highlight yours, then do a screenshot with as much of the wireless networks your computer sees. I would like to see the channel information as well.

13. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Thank you for the hardware information. My initial thought was that you may have gotten a single-band WiFi adapter and that was causing the slow speed. The Archer T4E is dual-band, so that is not the issue.

A cursory Google search indicates that you are not the only one experiencing slow connections with the Archer T4E adapter and different possible solutions were found. When you say, "i have tried every method to get my wifi speed back, like literally everything.", I am not sure what assistance I can offer if you have already tried anything I might find as a possible solution. As a starting point, I was going to suggest making sure you have downloaded and installed the correct and latest drivers from the TP-Link website.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are the antennas on the PCIe adapter secure? Properly oriented? With a clear path to the router (not hidden in a corner or behind the computer)?

15. choccakes

choccakes Thread Starter

abc

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235304

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice