1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The Windows Installer Service on local computer started and then stopped

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by firwer123, Nov 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. firwer123

firwer123 Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

I am new to this community and i would wish to ask for IT assistance.I can't install new programs because my windows installer service was unable to start. Whenever i attempt to start it, it will load a little bit and a popup will appear:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14349976/Win7.png
    Now, I am quite helpless because I also tried searching all over the internet finding for a solution
    Solutions Tried:
    1. Unregistering Msiexec and Registering Msiexec
    2. System File Checker [SFC] scan [Nothing Found]
    3. Microsoft Fix-It
    4. Check For SYSTEM Permission [Full Control Given To SYSTEM]
    5. Starting Windows Installer Service via "net start MSIServer" [Result: System error 5 had occurred]
    6. System Restore

I plan of using a system repair disc but I don't have one or even a blank disc :(
    I am really very stressed because of this situation because I can't install any application be it Java or Adobe photoshop

Please Help Me..

Laptop Specifications:
    BITS: 64
    Manufacturer: Acer
    Model: Aspire 4741
    RAM: 2GB
    Windows Installer Version: 5.0
    Processor: Intel Pentium Processor P6000
    Hard Drive: 320 GB HDD

Thank You Everyone!

2. firwer123

firwer123 Thread Starter

3. Mark1956

Mark1956

Lets see if this software will fix the problem. Then there are a few other things we can try. Also run Rkill to check your systems services.

Download this and save it to the desktop: Windows Repair Use any of the orange/yellow buttons below Installer (4.75MB) to start the download. NOTE: DO NOT use the green buttons at the top of the page as this is dubious software that could infect your system with Adware.

Close your browser and any running programs, double click on the Tweaking icon on your desktop to run the tool. When the program opens click on the Step 4 tab. Under System Restore click on Create and wait for the confirmation to appear just below the button.

When complete click on the tab Start Repairs, click on the Start button. Then click on Unselect All and tick the boxes next to the the items in the list below.

When done click on the Start button and leave it undisturbed until complete.

• Reset Registry Permissions
    • Reset File Permissions
    • Register System Files
    • Remove Temp Files
    • Set Windows Services To Default Startup
    • Repair MSI (Windows Installer)
    • Restore Important Windows Services

===================================================

Please download RKill
    There are three buttons to choose from with different names on, select the first one and save it to your desktop.

• Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
    • If using Vista or Windows 7, right-click on it and select Run As Administrator.
    • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
    • A log pops up at the end of the run. This log file is located at C:\rkill.log. Please post this in your next reply.
    • If you do not see the black box flash on the screen delete the icon from the desktop and go back to the link for the download, select the next button and try to run the tool again, continue to repeat this process using the remaining buttons until the tool runs. You will find further links if you scroll down the page with other names, try them one at a time.
    • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.

4. firwer123

firwer123 Thread Starter

Rkill 2.6.3 by Lawrence Abrams (Grinler)
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/
    Copyright 2008-2013 BleepingComputer.com
    More Information about Rkill can be found at this link:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic308364.html

Program started at: 11/30/2013 02:58:53 AM in x64 mode.
    Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium

Checking for Windows services to stop:

* FunshionSvr Stopped. [PUP.Funshion]

1 service stopped!

Checking for processes to terminate:

* C:\ProgramData\Freemake\FreemakeUtilsService\FreemakeUtilsService.exe (PID: 2032) [AU-HEUR]
    * C:\Windows\system32\dmwu.exe (PID: 2836) [Sweetpacks-Adware]

2 proccesses terminated!

Checking Registry for malware related settings:

* Explorer Policy Removed: NoActiveDesktopChanges [HKLM]

Backup Registry file created at:
    C:\Users\Acer Aspire\Desktop\rkill\rkill-11-30-2013-02-59-06.reg

Resetting .EXE, .COM, & .BAT associations in the Windows Registry.

Performing miscellaneous checks:

* No issues found.

Checking Windows Service Integrity:

* No issues found.

Searching for Missing Digital Signatures:

* No issues found.

Checking HOSTS File:

* No issues found.

Program finished at: 11/30/2013 03:05:42 AM
    Execution time: 0 hours(s), 6 minute(s), and 49 seconds(s)

5. Mark1956

Mark1956

You have not told me if the Tweaking.com Windows Repair has helped with the MSI installer problem, so I have no idea if any further action is required.

Rkill did not find any problem with your services but it has given a clear indication that your system is infected with Adware so we should run the scan below.

Click on this link to download : ADWCleaner Click on the Download Now button and save it to your desktop.

NOTE: If using Internet Explorer and you get an alert that stops the program downloading click on Tools > Smartscreen Filter > Turn off Smartscreen Filter then click on OK in the box that opens. Then click on the link again.

Close your browser and double click on this icon on your desktop: [​IMG]

You will then see the screen below, click on the Scan button (as indicated), accept any prompts that appear and allow it to run, it may take several minutes to complete, when it is done click on the Clean button, accept any prompts that appear and allow the system to reboot. You will then be presented with the report, Copy & Paste it into your next post.

[​IMG]

6. firwer123

firwer123 Thread Starter

I tried using the tweaking.com tool but it did not fix my problem. However, meanwhile waiting for your reply after I posted the log, I did a quick scan using malwarebytes and found over 80 threats including trojans and malware. Now I am attempting to do a full scan before trying out adwcleaner tool that you provided me. Thanks!

Edit: After removing all the viruses and PUP found using Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner, I restarted my laptop twice but it still did not fix any problem :( The MSI installer service is still not running...any help?

7. Mark1956

Mark1956

Could you please post the ADWCleaner log and the one from Malwarebytes so I can see what we are dealing with.

You will find the ADWCleaner logs in a folder on your C: drive called Adwcleaner. Double click to open the file then Copy & Paste it into your next reply.

Open Malwarebytes and click on the logs tab, open the last log produced and Copy & Paste it into your next reply.

Please don't take any further action until I have reviewed the logs.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1114078

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice