Theoretical Ransomware Question

prunejuice

If ransomware can infect the OS and the drive it's installed to, as well as any other mounted drives attached to the machine...
...would ransomware also affect drives formatted in non-Windows formats like ext3, extt4, btrfs, etc....?

I don't have any Windows computers, but I find this curious.

I don't think it matters much how the drive is formatted, it just reads the file and writes encrypted output to another file.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Exactly. If the data is on any media attached to an infected hosts that obviously can access and read the media, then the data is equally in danger. Doesn't matter what file system is being used. Those that have effective backup strategies/policies are the ones that are minimally impacted by ransomware.

prunejuice

I've read a lot of contradictory descriptions of ransomware being able to affect any file or filesystem "it has access to" (which Windows natively does not)...but I'm going to keep my eye on general malware news affecting all systems in common use.
I want to thank everyone for participating...this has been food for thought.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online