there are no active mixers available

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

computerdumb002

hi my computer has stopped expressing sound and i'm not sure why, volume control seems to have disapeared and when i tried to access it through control panel it gave me an error message reading "There are no active mixer devices available". I am using microsoft windows xp, can anyone possibly help me? much appreciated.

Can you give us some more details on the computer hardware? Such as model numbers, motherboard, sound card model, etc.

It seems like there's a conflict with drivers, and you need to reinstall them. Tell us some more specifics and we can help you.

Go into device manager, uninstall the audio mixer. reboot computer, Windows should find it and reinstall it. Post back if that doesn't work.
vicks

computerdumb002

i think my motherboard has an inbuilt sound card, if that is possible :S i can't find the audio mixers in device manager, however i have found that "multimedia audio controller" has a yellow exclaimation mark next to it, as does another unkown device under the "sound, video and game controllers" tab. No Realtex ac97 is not listed under either sound or audio tabs.

Check your Windows Audio Service.

The issue you are describing sounds exactly like what happens when the windows audio service gets stopped.

To restart it
Start--> Run --> Services.msc
Scroll down the list until you find the one named "Windows Audio"
Check its status, it should be listed as "started" and check startup which should be listed as "Automatic"

If either of these are wrong, double click the service to launch the property window... From there its pretty user intuitive (click button Start to start service or open startup type pulldown menu to select automatic). Click apply the ok when you finish editing the service properties

computerdumb002

The status was already listed as "started" and startup was listed as "Automatic". Does anyone have any other ideas of what the problem could be and how i could solve it?

guitar

Banned
right click mycomputer/properties/hardware/device manager/your sound device/properties/driver/rollback

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online