1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

'There has been a sharing violation'...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BlackHorseman, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackHorseman

BlackHorseman Thread Starter

Hello,

I often get this message when trying to move or delete files. Sometimes shutting ZoneAlarm would make it stop, but not always. Like, for instance, today I tried to rename a directory I copied from a CD given to me by my friend. The directory name was in russian...

Sorry if this question is too vague, but I don't know what other useful information I can give.

Daniel.

2. cj_white

cj_white

that error means that another program is using the file you are moving or deleting. if you delete a file that a prog is using it may cause the prog not to function correctly. as long as any prog is using a file it will not let you modify it in any way

3. BlackHorseman

BlackHorseman Thread Starter

Hi CJ,

(system specs below :))

Yeah, I know. But it happens even when I close ALL open windows, my firewall & my antivirus.

I checked in Regional Settings in Control Panel, and I have Cyrillic language (Russian) installed. And yet, when I try opening on my HD a directory the name of which is in Russian (copied it from a CD a friend gave me) I get no reaction. If I then try deleting it I get this merry error message.

I guess I'm asking two questions:
    1. Why can't I read files the name of which is in a language other that English, even when this language is installed on my machine?
    2. How can I ascertain whether any program is using a file I have a mind to delete, and if so, to learn which program it is?

Thanks,
    Daniel.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112579

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice