1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"There is an IP address conflict with another...

Discussion in 'General Security' started by ramstein, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ramstein

ramstein Thread Starter

Since last July my network at home has been reporting the IP address conflict at irregular times. Sometimes the regularity is over several days and then stops for a month. I have checked out the system but can't identify why there should be a conflict as follows:

Spec
    Netgear Router on ADSL line since 2001
    The Status reports LAN connection with DHCP enabled and OK
    WAN connection OK showing WAN IP
    Upstream and Downstream bytes showing activity

All PC's on network are WIN XP Home SP3 and are Socket A and Socket 478 CPUs
    RJ45 Network - House Wired by Cable Engineer in 2005 - all tested
    All running Bullguard 8.7 anti-virus
    A wireless router is connected to a RJ45 socket upstairs, set up to receive its IP from the Netgear Router, to provide a separate wireless network for the kids (keep their stuff away from my main pc) Their PCs are leased an IP by the Netgear Router.

Symptoms
    3 PCs all working fine on internet then suddenly disconnected, each reporting an 'IP address conflict with another system on the network'
    Reboot the Router. Sometimes this restores internet connection, sometimes not.
    Without warning, as quickly as the internet connection breaks, it comes back again without any action on my part, without touching the router

Diagnosis
    I rang BTelecom several times and spoke to an engineer. They carried out a thorough line test up to my socket and reported no fault. I tried connecting the Router direct to the main BT socket into the house and this made no difference to the irregular IP conflict.
    I turned off all PCs, disconnected the wireless router, and kept my PC connected to the Router - still getting an IP address conflict!
    However ,while the connection is down I can update virus definitions using Bullguard but not browse the internet or access mail servers. I can log in to Router as well.
    The LAN connection is OK, I can see others on the network.
    I can see the WAN is working while there is a local IP address conflict.

I bought a new router with wireless capability but this does not want to make a WAN connection, it handshakes with BT local exchange and makes a physical connection with their modem but not show a WAN IP. Bizarre.

I'm really becoming paranoid, thinking this is more than just a local technical problem.

Has anyone got any ideas?

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

To stop this, hard address (static) all your PC's.

You need to enter the router and limit the range of DHCP addresses it hands out, then hard address your PCs to ip addresses outside this DHCP range.

This should stop any conflicts on the network.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914284

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice