1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

'There is not enough free disk space to run Steam' Help?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dan501, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dan501

Dan501 Thread Starter

Every time i click to install Half Life 2 (old game i know but havnt played it in a while and its amazing xP) a Steam popup comes up and say 'There is not enough free disk space to run steam.'

Ive looked at the folder and its 2.20gb with 0 bytes free. How can i free up space on the CD? I already have Steam because i have TF2. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

How much space do you have on your drive?

3. Dan501

Dan501 Thread Starter

On both hddrives i have a lot of memory left free. For the disk drive none ><

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is never any free space on a CD and you can't make any. The space required is the space on your hard drive. How much is available?

5. Dan501

Dan501 Thread Starter

452GB on the OS (C: ) and 10.4GB on the Recovery (D: )

Sorry if i dont understand some stuff im quite new to this xP Thanks.

6. Jrptashaptn

Jrptashaptn

Make sure it's set to install to the right drive.

7. Dan501

Dan501 Thread Starter

How do i do that? Lol soz.

8. Jrptashaptn

Jrptashaptn

It is highly recommended that you create a backup of your SteamApps folder before attempting this process. Neglecting to do so may result in a loss of all of your game content should something go wrong.

1. Log out and exit Steam
    2. Navigate to the folder where Steam is installed (by default: C:\Program Files\Steam\)
    3. Delete all of the files and folders except the SteamApps folder and Steam.exe
    4. Cut and paste your Steam folder to the new location, for example: D:\Games\Steam\
    5. Launch Steam
    6. Steam will briefly update and then you will be ready to play
    7. All future game content will be downloaded to the new folder D:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\

9. Dan501

Dan501 Thread Starter

OK thanks i will try that now and edit my post if it doesnt or does work. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: No it hasnt worked, the 'brief update' actually updates everything thats not in the folder to the folder, so i have 2 folders exactly the same now. Maybe you are in the right direction, maybe it is that i have too much in the folder but i dont think theres a way to disgard that because the update just gives the folder everything the original one had. Thanks for the comment though and thanks for me now having a back up :)

It still says the same thing when i download the game ><

10. Jrptashaptn

Jrptashaptn

If you did everything I said, it should have moved it completely, and not left anything. Go back and check that you did everything.

11. Dan501

Dan501 Thread Starter

OK.. Ill try it again. Currently uploading the SteamAPPS and Steam.exe to a new location.

No it hasnt worked :( either im just a noob at this or somethings not working right. Maybe if you give the type of instructions you would give to a 5 year old, telling me exactly what to click and where to go ect. i might be able to do it XP

12. Jrptashaptn

Jrptashaptn

Don't feel bad man. First off, I never asked, what drive is Steam currently in? The one with free space, or the one lacking in space?

13. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Actually, the space the game is looking for isn't RAM or disk space. The space it's looking for is in your temporary folder and the swap file.

Do this: Close all open programs. Click on Start / Run and type "%temp% (without the quotes). It should open up Windows Explorer and show you the contents of the temp folder. Delete everything in the folder. MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN THE TEMP FOLDER. Some files will not delete. Skip those, but delete all folders and files (in the TEMP folder) that you can.

Reboot.

Now try to run your game.

Incidentally, to simplify what Jrptashaptn was trying to tell you: In the Steam folder, you only needed to delete everything except the SteamApps folder (and its contents) and the steam.exe file. The next time you run steam.exe, it will update itself after you log in. Once again, do not delete the SteamApps folder. This is where all of your games are installed.

Courtney

14. Dan501

Dan501 Thread Starter

Thank you both. But its still not working, dont know why. I deleted everything in the Temp folder but only a few files i had to skip.

Also now im getting 'Run Time Error '7';
    Out of memory.' when i run some programmes.. Somethings out of memory and maybe its the same thing tahts not making the game work.. But i dont know what is out of memory.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!