1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

there might be a problem with the driver for the local area connection adapter

Discussion in 'Networking' started by khaled25, Feb 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. khaled25

khaled25 Thread Starter

I apologize for the long title, but it's my first time ever to start a thread or join a forum.

I have windows 7 desktop, and i had a problem cleaning and getting rid of a some (Hijacker, malicious, PUP) was installed on my PC by mistake.
    After using my (Malwarebytes, AntiMalware- Premium) also used (Adware remover) and (Hitman pro- Trial version) after reading couple of articles and threads on the internet.
    NOTE: I'm not really into computers and stuff, but I know how to keep my PC clean all the time, but this was my younger brother's mistake when he downloaded something which I don't know.
    Everything so far was running smoothly on my PC cause i disconnected the Ethernet cable and started cleaning, now after (Adware removal) finished I had to restart my PC.
    Once it started, I had no internet connection at the bottom of the taskbar, and the internet icon showing (red X) after diagnosing and troubleshooting i had this message (there might be a problem with the driver for the local area connection adapter) ..
    came back to the internet trying to find a solution, and I've read a similar thread by someone and was answered by a professional Moderator who seemed to know it all and the issue was solved for that guy.
    I tried the steps advised in that thread but didn't work for me.
    I really wish someone can help me. and I will be very grateful and thankful

God Bless you.

2. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

If you could press the Windows flay key + R and in the Run open field type: cmd (press enter)
    In the command prompt type: netsh interface show interface (press enter)
    Under Admin State note anything that is disabled and the interface name. Reply back with what you see.

3. khaled25

khaled25 Thread Starter

Dear CoolBurn.

Thanks for your reply.
    I just did what said, and I had this showing on cmd:

Admin State State Type Interface name
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Enabled Connected Dedicated Local Area connection

4. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

If you could press the Windows flag key + R and in the Run open field type: devmgmt.msc (press enter)
    Now in device manager double click on “Network Adapters” and look for the LAN adapter. Right click on it and select properties. In the properties screen below “Device Status” see what message it is giving and reply back with that message.

It may be that we need to delete the adapter in device manager, restart the computer and let Windows re-install it. Also in your next reply can provide the exact make and model of the computer.

Just insure check that the cable is plugged in on both ends.

5. khaled25

khaled25 Thread Starter

Dear CoolBurn,

I followed your instructions and under the (Network Adapters) I have the {realtek pcie gbe family controller driver}
    When I click properties the Device status is: This device is working properly...

Regarding the PC make and model, actually it's a custom made PC with decent specs (IntelR Core 2Duo - 2GB RAM - 32Bit operating system - GeForce GT 220 Graphic Card)
    I don't really know the components brand names and stuff, it was modified by my brother's friend.

With regards to the Cable, it is connected properly and there is no issue with it.

6. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

1st Go back into the device manager and right click on the realtek controller, select uninstall. Once uninstalled click on Action in the menu bar and select “Scan for hardware changes”. This will re-install the adapter.

2nd If you can go back into command prompt and run the following command
    ipconfig /all (press enter)
    Post the results in your next reply.

Besides what you stated in your first post, what type of Anti-Virus/Firewall are you using and any you have used in the past?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142329

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice