1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

There MUST be a reason for this!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ronman, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronman

Ronman Thread Starter

I have a problem that is driving me nuts. I have an older standalone Dell that I mostly use to play older games. It is a Pentium III (550 mhz) with 384 MB of ram running Win 98. My problem is the CD drive. For some reason it will open data and picture CD's absolutley fine, but does not want to open videos or the game CD's that I have installed. I am using WMP 6.4 (?) for videos and when I attmpt to open one, I get the hourglass for about 30 seconds, but no luck. Same if I try to return to a game I have been playing. If I do the three finger salute, I see that it is a running application, but it never opens. Sometimes, it takes ten attempts to open a video and once it is successful, I have no further trouble until I turn the PC off and try a new session. Somedays, I can't get the game or video to open at all. This PC came from a smoking enviroment so I thought perhaps it was just dirty. I went out an got a new :( CD drive (48x) to replace it hoping that would cure the problem, but no go. Can anyone give a clue as to what to look at to solve this problem?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327330

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice